Strength and condtioning for the vaulter....

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:03 pm

GirlPoleVaulter87 wrote:
lonestar wrote:
Like that 11'1 jump from 3! :yes: Quit hunching over in your run though and stand up! ;)

thanks!
yeah, my run is what i spend 90% of my time trying to improve. any suggestions would be great. its soooooooo frustrating. its even worse on my longer runs. :(

my pr. is 12'6

I thought i saw you jump before, it was at the armory,but some advice for your run. I checked out your video at 12'6" and 12'10" and first i wanna say AWESOME heights. The thing is though on you first step, the one that is supposed to be the most agressive, you take it but then you stay leaning the whole run. Try to straighten out your upperbody as you come off that step,and through your run. A really good way i learn to improve is by watching the better kids and trying to notice what they do right and wrong. It's really helpful.

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:29 pm

General Question: How many pull-ups should a good vaulter be able to do???????????????(until they cant anymore,like not time limit or anything)

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:35 pm

PvRowSwim wrote:General Question: How many pull-ups should a good vaulter be able to do???????????????(until they cant anymore,like not time limit or anything)

I think it should be how many bubka's can you do. And honeslty i think it depends on how old the person is. A pre-pubecent teen will definitaly get rocked against someone who is 21. So really its age, and body type, and gender...so i guess it depends. The way we test people is if they can walk on their hands doin a handstand.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:40 pm

what do you mean by "we"? And then i guess then anyone who is not a gymnast is in trouble huh?

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:04 pm

trying timeing ur self like doings as many pull ups as u can in one minute and just impove it so far i can 24 in one minute but i am only 14 so dont laugh at it too much
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:05 pm

another thing and i know its crazy to ask this on this site especially but dont kill me..........ummmmmm.... i'm scared.......whats a bubka?

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:17 pm

Im not a gymnast, never was, but gynmastic ABILITY is a big part of being a pole vaulter. We is my team/coaches, being able to walk on you hands is a good indicator of upper body strength. PVRowSwim HAHAHA, i love how u put it in the smallest letters possible, this board is to help people, not to scare them. A Bubka is pretty much a drill in which u hang from ur arms and get inverted using pole vaulting form, it helps your swing, ur lead leg explosion, pretty much anything to do with take off.

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:25 pm

i am glad you laughed and wasnt like "wtf, what a crack head" thanks for telling me what a bubka is i feel more like a true vaulty now.

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:26 pm

anymore suggestions though?(to work out) Actually another general question to whomever................How can you obtain lean muscles instead of super oober butch muscles?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:22 pm

PvRowSwim wrote:How can you obtain lean muscles instead of super oober butch muscles?

That is mostly genetics. You are not likely to get massively bulky from lifting unless you do steroids.

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:35 pm

hahahah steroids what silliness!

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:08 am

I would dissagree with genetics Becca. You can lift for bulk (Low reps High Weight) in which u will get more mass or u can lift to condition (high reps low weight). True genetics has some to do with it, but with a right routine and the right amount of carbs, fat, and protein you can get stronger and not be a meat head. But to have a good work out, you should do both bulk and toning, at diffrent days of course. Also, stay away from creatine, it dosn't do anything (its not BAD for u), just a really big waste of money when u could spend it on protein or a gym memebership.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”