Strength and condtioning for the vaulter....

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
GirlPoleVaulter87
PV Whiz

Unread postby GirlPoleVaulter87 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:07 pm

PvRowSwim wrote:now what about diet wise........all you guys responding hows your diet do you do the many small meals a day or the three meals a day thing. Do you eat whatever you want or do you curb your diet?
Cause in the past months i have changed my diet to big breakfast and lunches and small dinners, also i dont have any junk food and such and i eat mega amounts of fruit and drink alot of water. hows your diet?

I've been doing similar eating lately. I'm reading a book called sports speed because the thing i need to improve the most in my vault is my run. It reccomends a diet high in lean protein like chicken and turkey and simple carbohydrates lots of fruits and vegetables. It says cut down on complex carbs like pasta or bread. I mostly eat three meals and 3 snacks a day.
"Let's launch over it!"

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:20 pm

I'd just work on lifting. one thing that really helps is incline benching. also, do drills that help build strength

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Rainbowgirl28:I go for more smaller meals. It is better for your metabolism. At least try and eat lots of healthy snacks. A big breakfast is awesome, gets your day off to a good start. As for strength stuff, the best thing you can do is get on a high bar.

I kinda cant do the small meal things cause of school and stuff and i cant eat in my classes so its a little hard. meanwhile whats the high bar? I have no gymnastics background, as you can see i row and swim so i have pretty good upper body not top notch though.

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:09 pm

GirlPoleVaulter87, I actually think i have vaulted in competition with you before. I am from Tappan Zee High School, maybe?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:10 pm

PvRowSwim wrote:Rainbowgirl28:I go for more smaller meals. It is better for your metabolism. At least try and eat lots of healthy snacks. A big breakfast is awesome, gets your day off to a good start. As for strength stuff, the best thing you can do is get on a high bar.

I kinda cant do the small meal things cause of school and stuff and i cant eat in my classes so its a little hard. meanwhile whats the high bar? I have no gymnastics background, as you can see i row and swim so i have pretty good upper body not top notch though.

Eating healthy snacks between classes would be helpful. Bring a banana or orange, or cut up some fruit and put it in a baggie.

You probably do have good upper body strength, but you can get good core strength from the bar. See if your school has a chinup bar anywhere on campus, that is what I mean by a high bar. It just has to be something you can hold on to and sturdy enough to swing from.

We don't have any bars at my school, so we use the top of the squat rack.

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:19 pm

Rainbowgirl28: You probably do have good upper body strength, but you can get good core strength from the bar. See if your school has a chinup bar anywhere on campus, that is what I mean by a high bar. It just has to be something you can hold on to and sturdy enough to swing from.

well we have a nice weight room in my high school and i have a pull-up bar at home that i do leg lifts on but not religously, so what do i do on the bar?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:41 pm

GirlPoleVaulter87
PV Whiz

Unread postby GirlPoleVaulter87 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:18 am

PvRowSwim wrote:GirlPoleVaulter87, I actually think i have vaulted in competition with you before. I am from Tappan Zee High School, maybe?

Maybe at the armory? What meets have you gone to this year?
"Let's launch over it!"

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:35 pm

o no i think i have it, i may have seen you vault at the armory, but didnt vault with you. Is your pr like 12' or in that range? Cause i think i can tell by your icon. Maybe?

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:31 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Your hands will hate you at first, but they will toughen up.
Yup, My hands love me by now. ;)
Just you wait...

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:21 pm

PvRowSwim wrote:o no i think i have it, i may have seen you vault at the armory, but didnt vault with you. Is your pr like 12' or in that range? Cause i think i can tell by your icon. Maybe?

Check out her website: http://www.fliptography.com/JT/index.html

Like that 11'1 jump from 3! :yes: Quit hunching over in your run though and stand up! ;)
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

GirlPoleVaulter87
PV Whiz

Unread postby GirlPoleVaulter87 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:03 pm

lonestar wrote:
Like that 11'1 jump from 3! :yes: Quit hunching over in your run though and stand up! ;)

thanks!
yeah, my run is what i spend 90% of my time trying to improve. any suggestions would be great. its soooooooo frustrating. its even worse on my longer runs. :(

my pr. is 12'6
"Let's launch over it!"

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”