Flex #s

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

PCHSpolevaulter16
PV Fan

Flex #s

Unread postby PCHSpolevaulter16 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:44 pm

this may be a dumb ?, but do the poles get more flexable as the flex# goes up, or is it the other way around. My last pole was a 18.5 and the one i just got today is a 18.7 i think.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:22 pm

the higher the flex # the more flexable the pole.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:28 pm

And remember that you can only compare flex numbers on poles that are the same length AND made by the same manufacturer.

PCHSpolevaulter16
PV Fan

Unread postby PCHSpolevaulter16 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:31 pm

really? that doesnt seem to smart to me!! wouldnt it make more sense for them to make a unviversal way of measuring flex#s and all of them use it. dang that blows

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:35 pm

PCHSpolevaulter16 wrote:really? that doesnt seem to smart to me!! wouldnt it make more sense for them to make a unviversal way of measuring flex#s and all of them use it. dang that blows

Some people agree with you, but the manufacturers all prefer to do it their way.

Really the manufacturers are all fairly close. The biggest differences are in short poles (12'6" and smaller).

You still can't compare flex numbers between lengths because of the way they flex the poles.

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 pm

If u want you can set up you own testing area and then do them all your self.

PCHSpolevaulter16
PV Fan

Unread postby PCHSpolevaulter16 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm

well i am jumping on a 14' 160 now and a 13'6" 160 before, and how would you set up a testing area?

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:01 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:You still can't compare flex numbers between lengths because of the way they flex the poles.

Can you help me understand this please? For sake of discussion, if you grip near maximum on a pole that would be near where it is tested. And if you applied the same amount of force, the pole would bend a similar amount. But it would not be the same to jump on because you are gripping higher and a higher grip is as significant a change as a heavier pole. Does any of that make sense or am I all wet?

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

you might try to re-phrase that????

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:39 pm

master wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:You still can't compare flex numbers between lengths because of the way they flex the poles.

Can you help me understand this please? For sake of discussion, if you grip near maximum on a pole that would be near where it is tested. And if you applied the same amount of force, the pole would bend a similar amount. But it would not be the same to jump on because you are gripping higher and a higher grip is as significant a change as a heavier pole. Does any of that make sense or am I all wet?

you might try to re-phrase that????
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: you might try to re-phrase that????

Unread postby master » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:27 am

ESSX wrote:you might try to re-phrase that????

OK. I will try a completely different way. I think you can compare a 13' 6" 165 lb rated pole and a 14' 165 lb rated pole. They are not the same, but they can be compared. Similarly I think you can compare a 13' 6" 17.6 flex Pacer FX with a 14' 17.6 flex Pacer FX. They are not the same, but I know how they are different so I know what to expect from each (in a relative sense.)

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Ok now I know what you are saying and YES I agree

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:35 am

master wrote:

OK. I will try a completely different way. I think you can compare a 13' 6" 165 lb rated pole and a 14' 165 lb rated pole. They are not the same, but they can be compared. Similarly I think you can compare a 13' 6" 17.6 flex Pacer FX with a 14' 17.6 flex Pacer FX. They are not the same, but I know how they are different so I know what to expect from each (in a relative sense.)

Ok Now I know what you are trying to say and agree.
The best way to understand length increase in stiffness is this way;
a 13'6"-165 holding 6" down from the top will be the same stiffness as a 14-165 holding the same distance from the top 6"
For every inch you move your hand down the pole gets 1 lbs stiffer on the 14-165 compared to the 13'6" pole.

Most all brands compared by weight model match pretty much across the board.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: you might try to re-phrase that????

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:20 am

master wrote:

Yes, they will require about the same amount of force to bend if you're gripping both poles say 6" from the top, BUT, where people f*** this up is that they don't realize that jacking their grip up to the same distance from the top on the next length f*** up the whole pole-speed equation. Even 1 inch of grip changes the pole-speed dynamic in a jump, and when moving to the next length, you should grip the same height from the BOTTOM of the pole with your top hand, or like 1" more. If you just jack your grip up 6" to a foot, you're asking to get your dumb a** spanked back down on the runway.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”