Strength and condtioning for the vaulter....

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Strength and condtioning for the vaulter....

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:14 pm

I am new to this whole forum thing so bear with me, althoug i am not new to vaulting, it has been a full year for me and i have made so pretty sweet progress. I recently injured myself because i am in between poles, greatfully it was during the off season from winter to spring. I amall better dont worry about me but i want my muscles back! If anyone could give me some tips on lifting, training to even running that'd be AWESOME!!

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:51 am

PROTIEN....my suggestion I was eating so many eggs it was not funny but I gained from 110 after surgery back to 220 so I am doin good
-B
What poles are made of fiberglass now....

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:53 am

bench press that is
-B

What poles are made of fiberglass now....

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:42 pm

I am a girl so i dont really need the muscle weight as much as just strength

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:50 pm

In all seriousness - Pilates are excellent for building core strenght while maintaining flexibility and not really doing the whole 'bulk muscle' thing that you probably dont want.

I would also suggest push ups for upper body strength, but that might just be the Marine coming out in me... lol
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:03 pm

i recently talked to a high jumping friend of mine and she said the same exact thing awesome...... i was given videos for them tooo for my birthday(I know dork) but i'll check them out.

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:47 pm

Pilates, Yoga, and core strength, i also took some gymnastic classes (yeah, seeing a 18 year old in a beginning class is kinda funny but they understood). Your best friend for core strength is the good old swiss ball, or fitness ball w/e u like to call it.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:00 pm

now what about diet wise........all you guys responding hows your diet do you do the many small meals a day or the three meals a day thing. Do you eat whatever you want or do you curb your diet?
Cause in the past months i have changed my diet to big breakfast and lunches and small dinners, also i dont have any junk food and such and i eat mega amounts of fruit and drink alot of water. hows your diet?

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:38 pm

I went frm 140 to 157, i ate a 4000 calorie diet in which i took an excess of 200 grams of protein. Take ur body weight in Kg and for every KG u are take in 1.2 to 1.8+ grams of protien, its really hard if ur not taking in a protein shake, but the results speak for themselves, 17 pounds in 2 months of muscle is really good. Try to eat lots of fiber, which in turn will also give u lots of vitmans and anti-oxididants. Also, taking a calcium supplament will help u become leaner (calcium is proven to help burn fat better) will help build strong bones but also help in muscle recovert since Calcium helps with ADP to ATP restoration through the help of natural creatine through your body.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:01 pm

Calcium supplaments huh? COOL! I am gonna check tthat out thanks.

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:07 pm

CHC04Vault wrote:Pilates, Yoga, and core strength, i also took some gymnastic classes (yeah, seeing a 18 year old in a beginning class is kinda funny but they understood). Your best friend for core strength is the good old swiss ball, or fitness ball w/e u like to call it.

Hey i did that too but i am 14 and there was alot of girsl my age so its was really fun for me
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:06 pm

PvRowSwim wrote:now what about diet wise........all you guys responding hows your diet do you do the many small meals a day or the three meals a day thing. Do you eat whatever you want or do you curb your diet?
Cause in the past months i have changed my diet to big breakfast and lunches and small dinners, also i dont have any junk food and such and i eat mega amounts of fruit and drink alot of water. hows your diet?

I go for more smaller meals. It is better for your metabolism. At least try and eat lots of healthy snacks. A big breakfast is awesome, gets your day off to a good start.

As for strength stuff, the best thing you can do is get on a high bar. Anything you can do on a high bar is good. As much swinging as possible, leg lifts, bubkas (use the search feature here to see what they are), pullups, etc etc. Your hands will hate you at first, but they will toughen up.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”