Field events always get the shaft

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:19 am

yes.. sadly i needed to be holding a few inches higher on that 5.0m 205... i just jumped over the top of the bend when my step came out to 13'2.....

but.. almost doesnt count

.. there will be no almost outdoors. i can promise ya that much. haha. :P
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:41 am

VTechVaulter wrote:well now i really feel like crap.. i cant even get average :crying:

lol, I feel ya...
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:47 am

wacky274 wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:well now i really feel like crap.. i cant even get average :crying:

lol, I feel ya...

yes you feel my pain too. we sucked... although at least you pr'd
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:39 am

hey you both are over 5.40 arent you?? correct me if i am wrong but that pretty dam good if you ask me
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

TB

Unread postby TB » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:12 am

Venting your frustration on message boards and not actually trying to do something about it will never help our sport.

You all need to contact Mark Bockelman of the NCAA. He can help spread the word about how things are televised and produced on the internet as well.

His contact info is below:

phone: 317-917-6222
fax: 317-917-6826
email: mbockelman@ncaa.org

If you don't try to at least let him know, you're just going to post the same message here again next year and the year after that, the year after that...

Also, trying to mention Skipper's performance in the same breath with Clement's is simply nuts in terms of showing it on television. This was not even his event. He is a hurdler and still set the world record in the open. He ran faster than Michael freaking Johnson!

The window of opportunity is not that much when they show events either. So if you want to see all the vaults, what are you willing to cut out? The mile run? You know the distance runners will then complain that they should not show any vaulters. Commercials? Then how will they pay to support televising the meet?

I do agree that there should be more of a happy medium. Our sport has so many events with so many athletes that to show all of them within the timeframe allowed just can't be done.
Last edited by TB on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:17 am

And if you do contact him, don't just whine about how the pole vault never gets enough television coverage...

Give specific reasons why they should cover it more and be polite. Tell them what an exciting, crowd pleasing event the pole vault is, and how exciting it was that someone as young as Tommy Skipper was so close to breaking the 19' barrier (or whatever reasons you can come up with).

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:40 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:And if you do contact him, don't just whine about how the pole vault never gets enough television coverage...

Give specific reasons why they should cover it more and be polite. Tell them what an exciting, crowd pleasing event the pole vault is, and how exciting it was that someone as young as Tommy Skipper was so close to breaking the 19' barrier (or whatever reasons you can come up with).

and don't forget to tell him how sexy we are..... :P
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:56 pm

yeah we should be getting air time just because we are so sexy!!!
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

StretchVaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby StretchVaulter » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:21 pm

I agree with vaultinchris....skipper had an average performance and most of us have seen him jump higher in other competitions...there wsa a WR in the 400 and even though I am a vaulter that was still amazing to watch

VTechVaulter
PV Lover

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:34 pm

it his defense. the only reason it was an average performance was because he went right to 5.80.. im still not sure why he wouldn't jump a 5.70 just to ease towards it.. but he smoked 5.60.. bIGTIME

as for the tv coverage.. theres no real good answer.
Brian Mondschein
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:27 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:it his defense. the only reason it was an average performance was because he went right to 5.80.. im still not sure why he wouldn't jump a 5.70 just to ease towards it.. but he smoked 5.60.. bIGTIME.

he's been needing to do this the last several times he's jumped...once he tries it, i guarantee he'll jumop 80...IMO
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

mowad1
PV Whiz

Unread postby mowad1 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:48 pm

The most upsetting thing at the NCAA coaches meeting was a rep from the NCAA saying that they had no control over who ESPN puts on tv or when, in explaining the tape delay. Of course this is a lie because the wrestling championships were telivised live on Saturday at 7PM. Come on, did you see that crap, two guys rolling around on a mat stailmating at every chance they could get.

Instead there were American and World records broken with poor tape delayed coverage at best. At least the wrestling comentators were good.

Those who run track are largely responsible for KILLING THE SPORT! :mad:

Return to “Pole Vault - College”