News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:19 pm

1st- about Kerron Clement, he deserved every bit of the coverage he got...the kid set a WORLD RECORD...just to put that in perspective for some of you, we'd (college vaulters) all have to PR by 1'-2' by June in order to warrant the same coverage.

:mad: 2nd- it does bother me that they show the winning jump in all the field events as an "aside" or "break" from other events. That would be like just showing the running champion as they cross the finish line.

I would like to see the covereage included as many different athletes and events as possible. Stop trying to follow "story lines" or give coaching tips. lest be honets the people who watched that meet today either are avid ESPN2 watchers or TRACK FANS and i say give the fans what they want to see. The best way for the fans to influence that is to write to the TV companies and tell then that they are not satisfied with the coverage.
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:28 pm

Clement set a WR and Skipper almost jumped the opening height for dozens of non-WR holders. Big difference.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:43 pm

i agree that the networks are gonna focus on what is newsworthy...but would it kill them to show a few jumps while the distance people are on their 80th lap??? i'm exaggerating a little, but i think vaulting is more interesting to watch than people running in circles.

i have my tivo set to record all track and field shows...the shows are about 1-3 hours long...pole vault is lucky if it gets 2 minutes!! i don't think it's very fair!!

vaultin chris
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultin chris » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:55 pm

but i think vaulting is more interesting to watch than people running in circles.

Of course you do...and alot of people on here agree

i have my tivo set to record all track and field shows...the shows are about 1-3 hours long...pole vault is lucky if it gets 2 minutes!! i don't think it's very fair!!

I think that when pole vaulters do amazing things (i.e. toby, tim and derek at the olympics) they get fair coverage. i think if you added a foot to the pole vault sesults that is the tommy @ 19'4" and three others @ 19' and the vault got the same coverage that would be an outrage.
Chris Smith

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:13 pm

but still....you have to admit that FIELD EVENTS don't get that good of coverage overall, its a shame that the media can't comprehend the word Track and FIELD, but i guess thats just me...

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:18 pm

No one is trying to take the spot light from Clement, but all of us want Track and Field to be as big as any sport and be respected as such, respectivily. However, the majority of people who do not follow track do not like watchin someone run around for the full 16 laps because most do not understand how to actaully race. I enjoy watching distance events because I know track and i know the importance of what is going on, the general population dosn't see the big deal in some running a 60 flat for a 400 during the 3200. I just want track to be respected, and unfortuantly, that might mean cutting into full coverage in some "less" interesting events in the eye of the public to show case events that they are interested in.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:19 pm

Izzystikchik
but still....you have to admit that FIELD EVENTS don't get that good of coverage overall, its a shame that the media can't comprehend the word Track and FIELD, but i guess thats just me...

i agree. I was watching a track and field meet on the Empire Network(a television station in NY that does NY sport events only) and it was showing a meet from the armory and half of the coverage was spent in interviews with winners asking some of the dumbest questions while you can hear the crowd in the background cheering on high jumpers, long jumpers, and pole vaulters.
Go BIG or Go HOME

vaultin chris
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultin chris » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:30 pm

i completely agree more time on covering the events less time doin other stuff as i said in my first post
Chris Smith

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:47 pm

soonervaulter wrote:Although tommy did't come close to his all time pr, there were 4 guys over 18 feet. I would hardly call that "average."

It's pretty average for the NCAA Championships

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:10 am

well now i really feel like crap.. i cant even get average :crying:
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:10 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
soonervaulter wrote:Although tommy did't come close to his all time pr, there were 4 guys over 18 feet. I would hardly call that "average."

It's pretty average for the NCAA Championships

And so are alot of other sports that we see, NCAA March Madness...average, no team is undeafeted its average we see a team with one or 2 wins, it still gets hype. Its how its presented to the nation, not what hardcore fans want. No hardcore fan wants to see duke vs. delaware state, and no hardcore fan wants to see a couple 18 feet jumpers, but the majority of the US dosn't know the diffrerence.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:12 am

VTechVaulter wrote:well now i really feel like crap.. i cant even get average :crying:

LOL you were close though :P

Return to “Pole Vault - College”