Pole Vault Spotting Proposal...

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Do you think spotting is a good idea???

Yes
27%
No
47%
Maybe
27%

Total votes: 64

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:50 pm

Hmm good question so far the overall solution has been to make larger mats...crap....How about we increase the mat size! Really I am for spotting, I would have some new facial features if I had not got a nudge here or a shove there.
-B
What poles are made of fiberglass now....

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:58 pm

I would have some new facial features if I had not got a nudge here or a shove there.
same here but what would be a viable solution???
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:04 am

same here but what would be a viable solution???

Here is how I have seen it... speaking from a collegeiate point of view.

Looking at the Relay meets like Penn and Drake, Conference meets and Nationals, there are no coaches allowed at or near the pits. The fact that I, as a coach, cannot be near the pits does not bother me... what bothers me is that I cannot spot my athletes.

Though there are no rules against spotting, coaches are not allowed near the pits or the vaulter during competition. The only personell allowed near the pits are the officials, whom arent always the most nimble or youthful (in body) (DISCLAIMER: I love the USA T&F officials. The experience the have and share are priceless. They are extremely knowlegeable and have a love of the sport that few of us can match. They are dedicated and excited about the sport and often go above and beyond the call of duty. Where they might be along in years, they are youthful in mind and spirit. I also know that if the opportunity arose, most of them would sacrifice their body in the name of safety and i thank them all!!! [i just preffer to see someone who can spot a vaulter and be able to walk away in most cases.])

My suggestion has always been this: Lets ALLOW for spotters to be present. Lets ALLOW for a few selected (possibly neutral) individuals to be available for spotting if the coach, or athlete would want them in place. But if we do not have neutral parties, allow the coach to do it. I am not saying lets make this mandatory, I am saying lets ALLOW it.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:10 am

that sounds like a good idea to me
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

moehill
PV Wannabe

Unread postby moehill » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:28 pm

That sounds like a great idea to me I Think the vault coaches need to be able to be right there even to coach thier athletes. Basketball, football. baseball, all other sports the coach gets to be right there to correct what you might be doing wrong and one little correction could save a persons life. If it is safety of the sport that we are all concerned about lets be smart about it. let us coachem and spottem

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:22 pm

There is a simple response the the spotting question:

A situation where spotters are needed should not even occur. Vaulters and coaches should know when to shorten runs and drop down poles, and if they don't and a vaulter is being dangerous, then the official should warn them of possible DQ if the don't straighten things out. Its not an official's job to tackle anyone, thats flat out ridiculous.
Accident's happen, sadly, and weird things happen where people get hurt. Its the essence of sport. If spotting becomes an issue, then we are going to have to have an official safety certification board, and people standing by to aid the officials when they get hurt tackling someone.

COMMON SENSE goes a long way. No spotters.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

moehill
PV Wannabe

Unread postby moehill » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:48 pm

I disagree with you, maybe at the collegiate and professional level this may not be a need. but if you want to promote the sport and keep it safe for the high school and junior high levels you are asking too much from these young vaulters to understand the problems that much. We are their coaches we need to be there to coach them I say let us spottem

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:43 pm

SlickVT wrote:There is a simple response the the spotting question:

A situation where spotters are needed should not even occur. Vaulters and coaches should know when to shorten runs and drop down poles, and if they don't and a vaulter is being dangerous, then the official should warn them of possible DQ if the don't straighten things out. Its not an official's job to tackle anyone, thats flat out ridiculous.
Accident's happen, sadly, and weird things happen where people get hurt. Its the essence of sport. If spotting becomes an issue, then we are going to have to have an official safety certification board, and people standing by to aid the officials when they get hurt tackling someone.

COMMON SENSE goes a long way. No spotters.

So basically you are saying vaulters need to be infallable or not be involved.

It goes back to the idea that if we, as vaulters are to be so perfect as athletes as to never make a mistake... well, i think that is flat out ridiculous.

All I am saying is make it an OPTION. AN OPTION!

Not mandatory... no reason to make a new rule saying we HAVE to have spotters. if there are vaulters out there who are so good that they will never get hurt, thats fine with me... i have no problem with any other coaches decisions... but my own opinion is, i would rather be there in that one chance in a million where i might... MIGHT have a chance to make a difference.

If i am sitting up in the stands over 100 feet away, i have a snowball's chance in H#!! of helping anyone. Why can't I have someone... if not me, SOMEONE there to do the work of being there...

I, you, someone, MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP... is that such a ridiculous idea? is the idea so preposterous that anyone would want to attempt to throw their body in the way of a falling athlete who might be in trouble?

I begin to think that once again, we are all so absolutly full of ourselves if we think that we are perfect and will never falter and neither will our charges that we resist the idea of an OPTION... Helmets... eh... for losers... Fiberglass poles... never be as good as my aluminum. Styrofoam pits? why bother?

no... i am just a dumb coach who wont be able to protect his athletes when the time comes... and no matter how long i train and teach them, when the time comes, i can only hope that they are as perfect as they are supposed to be to vault.

-g :confused:

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:39 pm

I did not call you or anyone else on here dumb. Thats what I get for posting my opinion I guess... I really cannot figure out why I am so interested in PVP when it annoys me so much.

I was trying to make the point that technique is the best spotter. We could go in circles for days with this.

You are correct, a hundred feet away sitting in the stands, you can't protect your athlete. But as their coach, you have hours upon hours to help that exact same vaulter prepare to avoid a situation like that.

All I know is that most indoor meets, and many outdoor meets, the infield is crowded in the first place (especially indoors). The last thing athletes need is a handful of coaches walking around the place interfering with them.

Secondly, think about how vaulters get treated at the lower levels of competition. Coaches telling vaulters to run faster, hold higher and throw your head back at takeoff. Well, if spotters are going to be at the meet this week, then they arent going to even bother coaching at all, that safety net will keep them safe.

Finally, what happens to the spotting coach that misses the kid that came down on his head and paralyzed himself? Ask anyone in freakin America these days. The family will sue him for everything he has. Its a way of life today.

I understand your OPTION thought, but the presence of a coach on the infield is not really an option for the other people that don't want him there.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club

Blacksburg, Virginia

verticaltechnique.com

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:15 pm

SlickVT wrote:I did not call you or anyone else on here dumb. Thats what I get for posting my opinion I guess... I really cannot figure out why I am so interested in PVP when it annoys me so much.

I was trying to make the point that technique is the best spotter. We could go in circles for days with this.

You are correct, a hundred feet away sitting in the stands, you can't protect your athlete. But as their coach, you have hours upon hours to help that exact same vaulter prepare to avoid a situation like that.

All I know is that most indoor meets, and many outdoor meets, the infield is crowded in the first place (especially indoors). The last thing athletes need is a handful of coaches walking around the place interfering with them.

Secondly, think about how vaulters get treated at the lower levels of competition. Coaches telling vaulters to run faster, hold higher and throw your head back at takeoff. Well, if spotters are going to be at the meet this week, then they arent going to even bother coaching at all, that safety net will keep them safe.

Finally, what happens to the spotting coach that misses the kid that came down on his head and paralyzed himself? Ask anyone in freakin America these days. The family will sue him for everything he has. Its a way of life today.

I understand your OPTION thought, but the presence of a coach on the infield is not really an option for the other people that don't want him there.

Good point(s)
:yes:
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

moehill
PV Wannabe

Unread postby moehill » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:20 pm

I think Everyone has some good points, That is why there is some sort of debate about this topic. Obviously some of us may be talking about different levels of Vaulters, We at the High school level Don't get to spend Hours upon Hours perfecting every little Technique. Some of my Vaulters are spread very thin so does that mean that they can not participate in the event. I do understand that their are some coaches that do not even care about their vaulters, and if I were not here at this school it would be one of those schools. But my vaulters are always safe and they don't jump on poles that are not fit for them, or are to light or heavy gor them. But ocasionally we have a late plant that sends us crazy or gusts of wind that cause us not to get our speed. That is why I am always there to spot them in Practice and at the high school level here In Texas I have always spotted and Caught poles for my vaulters at every meet up until the Regional Track meet that is when it is not allowed anymore our kids get to have coaches right at the pit until regional or state competition and then it is not allowed. But I will not let this discussion affect the things that I do with my Vaulters because I will never put one of my Athletes in a dangerous situation, All my vaulters right now are sophmores and are steadily Improving Good luck to you all.

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:56 am

SlickVT wrote:I did not call you or anyone else on here dumb. Thats what I get for posting my opinion I guess... I really cannot figure out why I am so interested in PVP when it annoys me so much.

Slick, Everyone...

First of all, my apologies to Slick... in my "just a dumb coach" comment, I was trying to be facetious, but it came off as a cut and I apologize. There was no reason for me to be that way and I hope you accept my apologies. Reading from a Blog like this often doesnt sound like what I am trying to convey. So with that said, once again, to Slick and to everyone, I am sorry.

As for a rebuttal, I am not sure that Slick has read all of my posts... I did, in fact raise the issue of a litigious society in which we live and the fact that yes indeed, there could be some very complicated ramifications regarding the "missed spot".

I guess in response to that subject I would say that I, for one, am willing to jump in the way of a falling/failing athlete in the case it happens and not for one instant am going to question whether I could be sued or not... Basically I feel strongly enough about the lives of my fellow vaulters; fellow humans for that matter, to attempt to help in the case they might be in trouble.

I guess for me, I understand the legal ramifications involved with a botched spot... but on the flip side, I really believe that if I am in a position to try and help, I feel I not only have the need but the obligation to do something. I for one cannot jump out of the way when I see trouble.

Something else, I too was a collegiate vaulter... I know how I was strong and healthy and indestructible... I was flawless... and perfect... and I too did not want anyone near the pits while I was competing... but its funny how time and responsiblity has changed my thinking. As a coach I have found that even when my vaulters are doing well, are still flawed...

I dont know how often it has been said, or seen, or experienced by any vaulter, but strange things happen... a sudden breeze in the face... the lazy plant... anything really... Yes, PERFECT TECHNIQUE is the BEST option... I do not disagree. And yes, we can spend hours with our athletes working on good form, good technique... but they wont always be perfect. They wont even always be great.

So if we dont want more coaches near the pits, FINE... I like being back where I can get a better look at the whole vault anyway... I PREFFER it... but I also know that in most cases no one else is going to jump in the way when things go bad. If there was a capable person of being in the way of a misguided vault... Don't want me there? I would gladly sit back in the stands and enjoy the view from there. I can coach my athletes from there... not a problem. It just goes back to my fear that often, no one who is at the pits is capable or willing to jump in the way.

Maybe the fact that I know how crazy and fearless I was as a vaulter makes me fear much more for my charges as a coach. Maybe I just don't want to see my kids get hurt the way I did... Maybe... no, PROBABLY, I am just being over protective... but at the same time I train them well, and I train them to be smart vaulters... knowing when to feel for trouble... knowing when to bail, and when to sail. Feeling that difference is the key. I just cannot gaurantee that they recognize and feel that difference.

Not to mention... (beating the dead horse... again.) accidents happen. we cannot prevent them... but maybe... ONCE AGAIN... MAYBE we can prevent one more serious injury.

OPTIONS... Thats what I am asking for, that is what I am proposing... But the idea that spotting is ridiculous, I ask any one of you who disagree with it, if you have ever been on the recieving end or otherwise; do you not think it was worth it? would you rather have found out the hard way that someone shoving you back into the pits was not a good thing? I find it uncomprehensible that anyone would not want someone to try and stop them from getting hurt... how to spot is an issue that could be covered after it is been ok'd by the powers that be... but the issue of can we do it... can we be allowed to spot... is the question for now.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”