Sports Mom - questions about 15 yr old daughter pole vaulter

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

jeanne
PV Newbie

Sports Mom - questions about 15 yr old daughter pole vaulter

Unread postby jeanne » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:06 pm

Hey Guys & Gals,
We're new to this post. My HS freshman daughter weighing 112 lbs has been pole vaulting for three years. (jr. high) She also participates on a XC team in the fall. Yes, wierd combination but it works for us. Her highest vault is 8'6" she needs to be clearing the 10' mark to be a contender for State competition in mid-May. Right now she is on a sky pole" 11' 110 weight. The coach has her a new 11' 120# ordered.
On the side we have started private lessons and the private teacher suggested a 12' pole 120#. As parents we'll be glad to spend the cash ($300.) to get her that extra foot. My questions are #1. If we get a taller pole will that increase her height? #2. She can bend this 110# pole how much harder will it be to bend "that" 120 pole? She is standing 5'8" and cannot bear to loose any weight. #3. Do I spend the money now for a 115 pole and expect to turn right around and spend the money for a heavier pole as she matures?
These question may sound silly to most, please remember we are new at this.
Thank-you,
Sports Mom
Sports Mom

Vaulter99
PV Beginner

Unread postby Vaulter99 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:21 pm

Just because she is getting on a longer pole doesn't mean that she will get a higher height. There is a girl on my team that got her PR at 9" when I told her to hold about 3 inches shorter than she regularly did.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:54 pm

Find a new coach. Any coach that recommends going from a 11'/110 to a 12'/120 is an idiot.

The 11'/120 pole will probably be fine. She shouldn't move to 12' poles until she can jump AT LEAST 9'6" if not 10' on the 11's or she has her standards on 31" and hits the bar on the way up.
Last edited by achtungpv on Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:57 pm

that's a pretty big jump between the two poles. a foot plus ten more pounds of resistance is not an easy thing to do...something in between would probably be better.

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:11 pm

I would say stay with the 11-110 and then move eventually to the 11-120. Keep working on technique and as stated when she starts hitting the bar on the way up do to good form with the standards back at 80cm/31 inches then move up a stick.
Go BIG or Go HOME

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:57 pm

There is no such thing as a silly question in pole vaulting, its a sport where people jump on sticks.
-B
What poles are made of fiberglass now....

VaultAgain21
PV Beginner

Unread postby VaultAgain21 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:05 pm

wow your daughter has some talent there dosnt she. wow well the size of the pole wont matter to how hig she can jump but if she weights 112 and is vaulting on a 110 pole than the 120 pole will improve her once she gets used to it.
My PR is no limit! i just try as hard every time and if i get a new one.. good for me. but i still need to try just as hard! am i right?!

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:40 pm

Bro that is a bad misconception...That is a longer stiffer pole, It can make a rough issue on the plant phase. She needs to get a new coach because that is a big jump.
-B

What poles are made of fiberglass now....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:53 pm

If her coach has already ordered her an 11'120, then it sounds like she doesn't need a new pole right away. Wait and see if she blows through the 11'120 and you can make a better decision about what to do from there.

She obviously doesn't need to lose weight. A 12'120 will probably be a good pole for her... but not until she has progressed past the 11'120 that her coach has ordered.

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 am

First of all, there are no silly quetions (if it's for help on polevaulting). I wouldn't go up in hight. that's a bad idea. I actually have a smaller pole this year then I had last year, but it's 20 heavier because I put on that much wieght (mostly muscle and hight). I suppose if you want you can buy the pole. thats really up to you.

PCHSpolevaulter16
PV Fan

Unread postby PCHSpolevaulter16 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:04 pm

i am pretty sure it all depends on how fast she is, if she isnt to quik then she prob wont be able to jump on pole that is 10lbs over her weight (believe me its hard to do) but if she has alot of speed i dont see why she shouldnt be finr with the 11' 120. Another thing is, when you change the lengths of your poles it is really awkward at first especially with a whole foot.

fchipr
PV Fan

Unread postby fchipr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:09 pm

I agree on the coach replacement plan.

If after 2 years she is still not penetrating and not able to get her hips above her hands we have an issue.

She really ought to be able as a 3rd year girl pretty much vault the height of her grip (less 8" box depth) or within 6in of that grip height for sure. Translated Mom, that means, holding at the legal top of a 12 foot pole, which is 11'6", less 8" box depth, (less the conservative 6" allowance for just-ok technique) you have a 10'2" -10'8" vault on a 12' pole.

Oh by the way, that pole ought to be AT LEAST 10 lbs over her weight, IF she is doing anything decent in the off-the-groung phase of the vault. My 125lb jr HS vaulter is vaulting on 150, 155 and 160 lb poles of 14,14'6", and 15' lengths from 6 and 7 step runs. Its all in the run, and the posture at take-off.

Next Off-Season get her a sprint coach as well, it would payoff .

Back to challenge at hand...

Let's assume the pole carry and plant are good (a pretty big assumption most likely). I suspect her run is marginal, (maybe over 6 lefts too) and she long strides in her last 1-3 lefts before leaving the ground. She is bound to have her hips swing right past the pole as soon as she is off the ground....No chance for penetration , and hence higher grips and stiffer poles....l

The combo of the run and posture at take off that she now has, leaves her in a less than optimum position to have any chance to get your hips up and body in line with the pole. Thats why she is stuck at 8'6".

Work on her run and proper posture and last step, then the poles will come far quicken than most can afford. But if you need a pole...Get her a 12' 120 Pacer Fx. ( I'm a Pacer fan). Need a discount on one, or one real quick just yell. I like others trying to help you can help in pole buying too.

As I tell my vaulters. It takes bunches of practice..everything is measured in 100's of times not eaches or 10's of times... AND if you practice bad you do it bad.

Trade in the coach or quietly enlist coaching talent on the side.

See how kids vault before and after they've worked a season with the coach of interest too if ya can.

Good luck. Keep up the support MOM, we need more like you!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”