Live NCAA women's results

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:24 pm

Linnen clears on first, everybody else misses.

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:28 pm

Soma clears on her 2nd.

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:33 pm

Jerz, Wildhaber, Eveland, Chimielski are all out. The bar is going to 4.40

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:35 pm

Places so far.
7th place, Hiteshaw, Manuel
5th 4.20 Chimielski, Wildhaber
3rd Eveland, Jerz

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:36 pm

Kate puts height over 4.40 but comes down on it on her 1st.

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:43 pm

Soma is out.

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Becca says that it appears that Linnen is taking her 3rd at a higher height.

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:48 pm

Well whatever height it was she missed it but wins the competition with Soma taking 2nd I think.

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:51 pm

So I think the final standings should be like this.

1 Amy Linnen 4.30
2 Kate Soma 4.30
3 Eveland 4.20
Connie Jerz 4.20
5 Chimielski 4.20
Ashley Wildhaber 4.20
7 Kierney Hiteshaw 4.10
Stacie Manuel 4.10

gpc3
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gpc3 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:56 pm

Thanks for the play-by-play!
You can never clear a bar you never attempt.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:33 am

zack wrote:Becca says that it appears that Linnen is taking her 3rd at a higher height.

Yeah just kidding about the higher height. They remeasured the bar, so I assumed they had raised it, but somebody told me they messed up one of the standards and had to reset the height, so they remeasured it.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:19 am

http://gohuskies.collegesports.com/spor ... 05aab.html

Huskies finish two-day NCAA Indoor Championships with a record 10 All-Americans.

March 12, 2005

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Husky senior Kate Soma and junior Ashley Wildhaber earned All-America honors Saturday with respective second- and fifth-place finishes in the women's pole vault at the 2005 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Fayetteville, Ark., while senior Lindsey Egerdahl cinched her first-career All-America honor with an eighth-place finish in the women's mile.

The defending Pac-10 and MPSF pole vault champion, Soma entered Saturday's competition with the nation's leading mark, at 14 feet, 3 1/2 inches. The senior from Portland, Ore., passed the opening height of 12-7 1/2, before first-attempt clearances at 13-1 1/2 and 13-5 1/4. Soma needed all three attempts at 13-9 1/4, however, and two attempts at 14-1 1/4, placing her behind Kansas vaulter Amy Linnen entering the final height. When both failed to clear at 14-5 1/4, Linnen captured the NCAA title, and Soma claimed second.

The runner-up honor was the second-straight in NCAA Championships competition for Soma, who placed second outdoors in 2004. The senior, who ranks seventh in NCAA history in the event, captured her fourth-career All-America honor, equaling Aretha Hill and Meg Jones for the most in UW women's history.

"I thought she was going to get it [14-5 1/4] on her first attempt, but she just came down on top of it," said third-year head coach Greg Metcalf. "She's always stepped up at these big meets, though, and today was no exception. There aren't a lot of people who can call themselves four-time All-Americans."

Wildhaber, meanwhile, earned her first-career All-America award on the strength of a third-attempt clearance at 13-9 1/4, her personal best and the second-highest clearance in UW history. The Chehalis, Wash., native joined Soma in becoming the first UW duo to earn All-America honors in the same event since 1994, when Laura Kruse and Monika Parker shared national honors in the javelin.

The two were part of a four-woman UW contingent in the vault, equaling the most for any one school in any one event at this year's championships. Sophomore Stevie Marshalek (Kent, Wash./Kentridge) placed 13th at 13-1 1/2, while junior Carly Dockendorf (Port Moody, B.C./Best Secondary) -- who competed in Utah Friday night for the UW gymnastics team -- was 17th at 12-7 1/2.

"Ashley was the only one of the four who didn't make it to NCAAs last year, so to see her come in here and do so well is terrific," said Metcalf. "To be able to go into any event with four competitors is an awesome weapon to have. Those ladies are building quite a tradition for our program."

Return to “Pole Vault - College”