Knee Injuries

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Knee Injuries

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:36 pm

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has had this experience. My teammate had this happen yesterday and we were wondering how bad it could be. He went up with a full bend then the pole slipped and came full speed ad his trail leg knee and hit it very hard. He says it feels very sore and it pops a little anytime he takes a step walking. How bad could this be? :confused:

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:52 pm

i'm a little confused about what exactly happened...but it sounds like a blunt trauma to the knee. that happened to me a few years ago with a machine in the weight room. i had a bone contusion, which is just a really bad bruise and lots of swelling, and i also had a small tear in the meniscus, which is the cartilege between the bones in your knee. my knee did the popping thing too. i don't know if it's exactly the same as what happened to me, but he should keep ice on it, definitely get it checked out by athletic trainers, and if the pain persists, he might want to see a doctor just to be safe. i hope your teammate feels better and that everything is ok!!

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:40 am

sounds to me like it could be cartilage too. I tore out 2 ligaments as well as both meniscus in my knee. They trimmed out the torn part of the meniscus and they left the acl unrepaired. I was back to jumping after 6 weeks rehab. Keep in mind the rehab was more for the compansating for the lose of the acl then anything. So what PVPirate is saying sounds like a good idea.... lots of ice, and it definitely wouldn't hurt seeing a doctor. But, it doesn't sound like it'll take long to rehab.

Good Luck!
"Heart"

StretchVaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby StretchVaulter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:14 pm

I have a similiar knee problem that is caused by the lack of cartilage around my kneecap...knee problems can be very serious so be careful

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”