getting vertical.

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

titanvaulter21
PV Beginner

getting vertical.

Unread postby titanvaulter21 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:50 am

what does everyone do/think of to try to get vertical. i think that is one of my biggest problems. i have a pretty decent take off and plant but right after that, it's like i somehow just pause and i don't finish my jump.. so how does everyone train for their perfect rock back?
"Nothing is going to be handed to you--you have to make things happen."-Flo Jo

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:35 am

I have a junior in the same position, just tries to drop head and gets feet a little past 45 degres and that's it, nothing with hips at all...Can do kip-ups fine but nothing on the run way...drills he can not do either. He can get upside down when laying on the ground, but in air looks like your pic.
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:33 pm

i used to look EXACTLY like you do in that picture. I spent all fall and winter working on NOTHING BUT my run, plant, and takeoff, and I now get crazy inverted and jump well over my grip. You wouldnt believe all the technical stuff, even the smallest things, in your plant and takeoff that directly affects everythign that happens in the air.
What have you done today to get better?

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:19 pm

i wouldnt go bragging about way over your grip. you are getting close to a nice push but it is far from way over your grip. not that i am any better....but it is getting there slowly.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

mcminkz05
PV Great

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:21 pm

ummm i think the point of this topic is to offer help and or advice to someone chris? And yes i know i dont have an amazing push-off yet, i never said i did.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:25 pm

hahaha i know i am just in a very bad mood school can do that to you
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:30 pm

Well neither one of you two seem to have a good push off if you guys are on 15' foot poles and only clear 13'6"...reading Michigan's state meet results from Indoor States...just my opinion...
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:46 pm

BethelPV wrote:Well neither one of you two seem to have a good push off if you guys are on 15' foot poles and only clear 13'6"...reading Michigan's state meet results from Indoor States...just my opinion...

Shazam!

Bethel Brings the smack down... now back to the topic

What has slowly helped my inversion is bar work, If you can find a high bar at your school, or a long bar at a playground you can mimic the motions in the vault, try swinging back and whiping foward to get inverted, or Bubkas (much the same thing), when you get real good, have a friend grab your foot when you are swinging back, then they let go with out giving you a push and you attempt to swing up, (check out Sky Systems 2). Make sure to drop your shoulders and punch your hips upward (easier said then done right ;) ) There are also a few other posts on this topic you might try searching for them
Good luck
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:22 pm

I am not trying to be a jerk or anything about that previous post. I think I went a bit out of line by saying that. But in order to get back, i would say pool vaulting is a great way. Also work on getting back on a cross bar, and even gymnastics ring work. That would definately work!
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

DaRuk
PV Fan

Unread postby DaRuk » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:34 pm

BethelPV wrote:Well neither one of you two seem to have a good push off if you guys are on 15' foot poles and only clear 13'6"...reading Michigan's state meet results from Indoor States...just my opinion...

LOL :D

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:59 pm

Harsh...now if u could just send that video, u'd be the man...jk...

to titanvaulter21...
the postion that you are in the pic isnt that far off the correct position you just seem to be staying there too long. We describe the motion you're missing as the close off (dropping you shoulders and getting you body clost to the pole in the upside down postion). So if you have a good take off and swing the leg all the way through the vault then all you have to do is drop shoulders and raise you hips and you're golden. But its much easier said than done...my advice grab ahold of some ring and do alot of swing and rockback drills...those will work miracles in your vault.
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

mcminkz05
PV Great

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:44 am

OK just to clarify zach yes i only vaulted 13-6 at states :deadrose: but it was not on a 15' pole, neither of us were on 15's that day. So before saying something such as that maybe you shouldnt just make assumptions? As i recall i even TOLD you what size pole i was jumping on. Not cool at all buddy. :no: i was on a 14' 180 . i know thats not at all much of a pushoff, but compared to how it was 2' under my grip before, i was just using it TO MAKE A POINT about fixing the bottom of the vault. And this example was only one particular day mind you.
Last edited by mcminkz05 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”