how do you get that extra 6 inches?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

PVJESS08
PV Whiz

Unread postby PVJESS08 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:42 am

Mechant22 wrote:going back to the begining is probably the best thing. Whenever i go back and focus on the very basics that i first learned when i started, like basic rope work for your trail leg and pole run after pole run, it always helps. I tend to focus on the actual jumping at practice and i forget the basis of it all.

I totally agree!

slowest5.50
PV Nerd
Lifetime Best: 5.50

Unread postby slowest5.50 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:33 pm

To get another 6" you could practice staying inverted longer. When you think it is time to turn over the bar, think about keeping the feet closer to the top of the pole when you turn. This way you don't come out at the bar.
When we first get jumpers going we teach them to touch and turn. Then we have them keep their feet closer to the top of the pole when they are turning over the bar. Just getting them to get their feet to the top is a problem because they always want to stop the swing and turn over the bar.
Keep working hard and watch what the good guys are doing. Watch film of yourself if you have access.
I would much rather work with 100% heart and 75% talent than 100% talent and 75% heart!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”