Underwater vaulting, bent pole.

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:19 pm

If you don't let go you'll not only end up in the pool, you will get a heck of a workout. Also if we can hang-on to the pole it will end up only two to three feet from the edge of the pole, which could cause injuries.

The top portion of the pvc pole responds so much faster in the clip because of the real pole inside of it. The longer the pvc pole the faster the top end will be traveling in relation to the lower portions of it. We'll keep experimenting until we have something I like even more. Don't get me wrong, I am really happy with what we are doing but I think we can do it even better. But that's just me. Whether I'm looking at underwater vaulting or vaulters, I am never content with what is, I see what can be. I see and go after being better :D
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:19 pm

cdmilton wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:
cdmilton wrote:What about if you don't let go of the pole on the top? You could just force it unbend a bit slower and maybe that would prevent your valuters from getting hit with the pole.

You'd fall into the pool if you didn't let go!

I dunno...I think It could be done. I don't really like how the pole comes back. It's not natural.

You'd have to make sure you weren't too close to the wall then, which is why it would be hard for the person outside the pool to avoid falling in.

I am sure it's not impossible to do, just might be a little tricky!

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:54 pm

You'd have to make sure you weren't too close to the wall then, which is why it would be hard for the person outside the pool to avoid falling in.

How about hold the pole from the diving board?[/quote]
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:01 pm

MightyMouse wrote:

How about hold the pole from the diving board?
[/quote]

Then you would need an even longer piece of PVC pipe

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:38 pm

MightyMouse wrote:How about hold the pole from the diving board?
[/quote]

I guess it would depend on how deep the pool is at the diving board. The 20ft pvc may or may not be long enough. It might work though.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

moehill
PV Wannabe

Unread postby moehill » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:14 pm

I do the under water vault with my Vaulters and we use a water hose for a crossbar seems to work very well.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:53 pm

I think what you have done is great. As I watched, I could see the problem of the top (above the handgrip) portion of the "pole" snapping back quickly and possibly hitting the vaulter.

The engineer in me can't help but suggest something for you to try to eliminate this concern. Stiffen (to the point of not bending) as much of the pole as possible above the handgrip of the underwater vaulter. This could be done by inserting a metal pipe into the pole or maybe more easily, sliding a larger diameter (and stiffer) section of plastic pipe down over the outside. In either case, the stiffner piece would need to be secured to the pole in order to keep it in place. The entire pole will return to the straight condition, however the stiffened section should only get back to aligning with the below-the-handgrip section at the rate the bent section straightens out.

By keeping the above the handgrip section straight, you will have the same condition you have with an actual vault. This will change the action required to create the original bend, but that can likely be adjusted for fairly easily. If it works, I would love to see the videos of it. If I had access to a pool, I would love to try what you already have as well as this new idea.

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:14 am

Great idea! We will test it and let you know. I understand what you are saying. That just might work.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”