Weather

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Weather

Unread postby Bonevt » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:41 pm

Ive been starting to look at some school and alot of them are in the North East, therefore they are COLD until march and april. How does this affect track and jumping when it comes time to go outdoors.

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:57 pm

i live in rhode island, and alo of our outdoor meets are near 40 degrees. new england isnt the best place to jump outdoors, but there is alot of support forthe polevault and there is a great pole vault community in new england, with VaultnGus and Coch John Hoogasian in central Mass. ther is also alot of oportunity to vault in the summer when its great weather, so there are plusses and minuses. it rreally depends on where you go to get the most and best oportunities to vault.

navillusDM
PV Newbie

Unread postby navillusDM » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:19 am

I would def not go to a school up north. Stay south of virginia, seriously. Unless they have an indoor facility where you can jump all the time in it sucks. Everything is effected by the weather, mainly your performance, it will sacrifice what you do to a certian degree. I am not going to say u are going to not jump high because you went to school somewhere cold, but do you really want to train everyday in cold weather. Or would you rather be able to practice daily in 60 or even 70 degree weather. If you have the oppurtunity to go south take it!!
UVA Track and Field
PV current PR - 5.35

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:26 pm

i agree completely, i cant wait to get out of the north east, but thats only one of the reasons why im going to Tennessee next year. im going there not only because of their good history in track and especially pole vaulting, but also because i felt the school was a pefect fit for me. the thing you have to decide is what your priorities are. if you find the school that you would be happiest in up here then you just have to decide if you would want to possibly sacrifice good performance and good trainng conditions for going to your favorite school.

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:05 pm

Boner, this is Bing. If the school has a field house, there is nothing to worry about...
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Thanks man thats what I thought, I just remember someone once saying that it was cold where they were so outdoor sucked and they never PRed.

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:45 pm

I looked at Syracuse, they said over 120 inches of snow lasting till march or may. Didn't realy know how they worked with that.

gatorhatincracker
PV Fan

Unread postby gatorhatincracker » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:51 pm

I vaulted in Pennsylvania in HS, I was recruited by syracuse, rutgers, yale (yes yale) tennessee and South Carolina. I wanted to improve and figured that vaulting at a school with the warmest weather would allow me to do so. We have a indoor facility here at USC, but only use it from december till the end of feb. Many of my former fellow competitors from Florida vault year round outdoors. I assume that it would be harder to adapt to indoor meets without actually practicing indoors. Thats just my opinion.
Coach Frye: IF ITS TO BE....
USC TEAM (in unison) I M IN CLIQUE 3!

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:23 pm

Im up in the Midwest, although the winters have been pretty mild the past 2 seasons, we did have to shovel snow off of the runway once when i was a freshman :mad: It is kind of nice though because most of the other schools in the confrence practice inside and don't do much outdoors in competition :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - College”