seniors vaulting in college

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

pv4life
PV Wannabe

seniors vaulting in college

Unread postby pv4life » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:04 pm

is there any vaulters here that are seniors in high school and are going to vault in college? If so where are you from and what college are you going to vault @? I attend a small school in Northwest Ohio and I am going to vault @ Eastern Michigan in the fall.

C-townvault
PV Whiz

Unread postby C-townvault » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:59 pm

I'm looking to vault at University of Cincinnati, Purdue U, or U of Akron.
Wanna make my decision soon and not have to worry about anymore deadlines.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:03 pm

Yeah i'm a girl looking to vault in college and my primaries are Marquette, University of Illinois and Wisconsin-Madison.

C-townvault
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:59 pm Post subject:
I'm looking to vault at University of Cincinnati, Purdue U, or U of Akron.
Wanna make my decision soon and not have to worry about anymore deadlines.

I agree too. I wish i knew where i want to go so i can hurry up and make a decision.

pv4life
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pv4life » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:54 am

well it was between University of Findlay, Tiffin University, or Eastern Michigan University. I got accepted to all 3 but my decision was made b/c Eastern Michigan is a Division 1 school and Findlay & Tiffin are D 2. Plus Eastern Michigan is 13 thousand a year and Findlay is 28 thousand and Tiffin is 22 thousand.

riskafall
PV Beginner

Unread postby riskafall » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:13 pm

I think I'm going to michigan too! but u of m. I still want to hear from UNC, but i'm almost positive i'm going to umich.

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:58 pm

i'd really like to go to Washington U in STL, but yeah...40k a year? don't think that one's gonna happen...i won't even know if i'm accepted till april. they're a div III school, but I don't really care about that, i'm only a 9-6 vaulter right now, and i just want to vault anyway. the coach still hasn't gotten back to me about vaulting either...:-( i filled out the online recruit form thingy last week or so, and haven't heard anything...they already have three girl vaulters though, so maybe they don't want any more...

but yeah, if WashU doesn't happen, I'm gonna go to U of MO Rolla, they're div II, but again, don't really care, and they don't have ANY girl vaulters right now, so they want me lol :-) i've earned a 12k scholarship there (total cost ~14k....the 12k is the highest they give)
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:03 am

Hey Aviendha,

You say that you've already filled out a recruit form for the school you want to go to but you haven't heard back from them right?
Have you tried contacting the head coach, or pv coach of that school directly? If you want to get their attention you have to be loud and let yourself be known, show them that you've got the desire and the potential to help out the team. I had that same problem with quiet coaches, but i started to get the emails going, and if after awhile they didn't respond i would send in another one to maybe the assistant coach letting them know i was intersted. You don't know how often the athletic coaches will go through their recruit piles, depends if they really need a person to fill in for a certain event. It helped me get accepted to my schools even though i'm not scholarship material (hopefully soon though i need the $$$$).
All i'm sayin is that it doesn't hurt to drop a few hello's directly to the coaches know and then.

riskafall
PV Beginner

Unread postby riskafall » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:34 am

i agree with itzystikchick...if you really want to go to a school, you should contact the coach directly. alot of the coaches i emailed though never got back to me, so i called them... I even found the coach's home phone # for u mich and called him at home to set up a meeting when i visited.
goodluck with colleges

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:38 am

You'd be Wash U's #2 vaulter, so I am sure they'd love to have you on the team. Don't know how much they can help you out financially since DIII can't give athletic scholarships.

You know we can always get you a good deal to go to Lindenwood ;)

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:40 pm

im live in rhode island and im vaulting at the university of tennessee next year. i cant wait

"you should contact the coach directly"

i agree comletely with this. you have to be assertive and make it known that you are interested in learning more and or becoming a part of the team who's coach you are contacting.

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:48 pm

My friend and former teammate is on Wash U's XC and Track teams, he said its a very good school (though he is gettin wiped academically) and that the coaches are very friendly and glad he picked it over Duke and Johns Hopkins...just some food for thought
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:38 pm

i hope to be vaulting for emory next year!!

in my experience, contacting the coaches directly seems to give the best results. it took schools forever to respond to the recruit forms i sent in so i just e-mailed the coaches.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”