Underwater vaulting, bent pole.

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Re: Underwater vaulting, bent pole.

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:35 pm

gbob wrote:
cdmilton wrote:Thanks for the info. I do pool vaulting all the time with just a straight pole. You should also film from up top so we can see what that person is doing.

Agreed, I would really like to see what the person above the water is doing while "pushing down and out" on the pole to put the vaulter in the take off position. if you have more images, i would really appreciate seeing them! I also want to know more about "20ft (schedule 40) pvc pipe inside of another 20ft pvc" i guess i am assuming the combination of one inside the other allows for flexiblity, but not too much where it would just amount to a wet noodle?

-glen

I'll have to film the person pushing from the top next week and let you know here when I post it.

Most PVC for water lines that people purchase from plumbing supply companies is Schedule 40. One 20ft section by itself is to soft (unless you get one with so big a diameter that you can't get your hands around it). By putting a smaller diameter one inside it stiffens it up some. We are experimenting with different diameter sizes to see what works best for us and our pool depth that is 14 ft deep. We may end up with three different sizes layered, or even something stiffer in the lower section, at varying lengths, to see how it responds. Right now we are just experimenting and having fun with it.

Rusty :D
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:31 am

Excellent! looking forward to that footage...

g

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

pool vaulting

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:32 pm

Very cool video! I like the explainations. We do stiff underwater drills using a pool noodle as a cross bar.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:40 pm

That is so freakin sweet. props man, props
Just you wait...

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:54 pm

I was thinking about trying at a local pool with a friends 12ft 80lb pole..would that be to much with help?Or just a bad idea all together
-B
What poles are made of fiberglass now....

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:21 pm

vaultinggoat16 wrote:I was thinking about trying at a local pool with a friends 12ft 80lb pole..would that be to much with help?Or just a bad idea all together
Depends on the pool and whether or not you break his pole. If the bottom of the pool is not concrete or something solid it could damage the pool. If the pool isn't deep enough or the pole is to small and the pole breaks your friend might not be to happy. :crying:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:20 pm

Just added the underwater vault topside clip to our website, www.CarolinaExtreme.com

The pole was set up differently than the underwater clip previously posted. We were experimenting some more and placed an old yellow Catapole, 15' 130 lbs, in the 20ft 1.5" PVC. The first part of the clip, regular speed and slowmo, my 16yr old son Conrad was pushing for Chase. You can tell by the sound Chase makes that he likes the lift he got out of it. The pole responds almost to fast. It slapped one of my vaulters legs, and Chase's knee, and left welps. One of my girls was staying close to the pole and it slapped her ear and damaged her eardrum a little. So we'll probably change it and try maybe a 14' 130 so that the bend is more where it needs to be to lift them out of the water at least to their chest.

The last part of the clip is me pushing the pole more agressively, which I like better. My timing was off pushing for Conrad though, so it didn't work as well as I would have liked. We're getting close though. :D
Last edited by Carolina Extreme on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:37 pm

Wow! Once again very cool! Hopefully my school can try this out sometime. :dazed:

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:20 pm

That is def. the coolest thing i've seen all day.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:24 pm

What about if you don't let go of the pole on the top? You could just force it unbend a bit slower and maybe that would prevent your valuters from getting hit with the pole.
Chris Milton

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:42 pm

cdmilton wrote:What about if you don't let go of the pole on the top? You could just force it unbend a bit slower and maybe that would prevent your valuters from getting hit with the pole.

You'd fall into the pool if you didn't let go!

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:58 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
cdmilton wrote:What about if you don't let go of the pole on the top? You could just force it unbend a bit slower and maybe that would prevent your valuters from getting hit with the pole.

You'd fall into the pool if you didn't let go!

I dunno...I think It could be done. I don't really like how the pole comes back. It's not natural.
Chris Milton

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”