Underwater vaulting, bent pole.

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Underwater vaulting, bent pole.

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:02 am

If anyone is interested in viewing, I have a underwater vaulting, bent pole video that I have just put on our website at www.CarolinaExtreme.com . Very cool! We been doing it once a week for a while now. :yes:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:05 am

that looks like so much fun!!!
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:23 am

Wow that is awesome!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:37 am

Looks familiar :)

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:10 am

Kinda looks like the underwater shot from JJ's Sky System II video. But that still looks cool and fun!
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

pv4life
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pv4life » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:51 am

I'll have to ckeck into doing that sometime!!!

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Re: Underwater vaulting, bent pole.

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:00 am

Carolina Extreme wrote:If anyone is interested in viewing, I have a underwater vaulting, bent pole video that I have just put on our website at www.CarolinaExtreme.com . Very cool! We been doing it once a week for a while now. :yes:

What weight pole are you using for this? I assume a pretty soft one. Also, is the person above water helping to bend the pole? I'd like to know more about this.
Chris Milton

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:10 am

cdmilton wrote:What weight pole are you using for this? I assume a pretty soft one. Also, is the person above water helping to bend the pole? I'd like to know more about this.

We use 20ft (schedule 40) pvc pipe inside of another 20ft pvc in a deep water diving pool. We're still playing with pipes/ideas to get it a little stiffer. The person on top is providing the take-off, so to speak, by pushing the pole down and out to put the vaulter into the take-off position. We have a rope on top, with wrist loop, to pull the pole back as well as to stop the pole from going to far.

The water allows you to do everything in slow motion to give you a better feel for what you need to be doing. Your feet are like rudders so if they are off you will drift and not go straight through and up the pole.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:12 am

At Georgia we used the lane dividers as a crossbar.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:14 am

Carolina Extreme wrote:
cdmilton wrote:What weight pole are you using for this? I assume a pretty soft one. Also, is the person above water helping to bend the pole? I'd like to know more about this.

We use 20ft (schedule 40) pvc pipe inside of another 20ft pvc in a deep water diving pool. We're still playing with pipes/ideas to get it a little stiffer. The person on top is providing the take-off, so to speak, by pushing the pole down and out to put the vaulter into the take-off position. We have a rope on top, with wrist loop, to pull the pole back as well as to stop the pole from going to far.

The water allows you to do everything in slow motion to give you a better feel for what you need to be doing. Your feet are like rudders so if they are off you will drift and not go straight through and up the pole.

Thanks for the info. I do pool vaulting all the time with just a straight pole. You should also film from up top so we can see what that person is doing.
Chris Milton

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:19 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:At Georgia we used the lane dividers as a crossbar.

Yep, that makes it sweet! We might try floating a bungee and see how that works. We don't have the lane divider option since ours is strictly a diving pool. There is one lane divider but it is on the shallower 12 ft end, and to close to the side.

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:20 pm

cdmilton wrote:
Carolina Extreme wrote:

Thanks for the info. I do pool vaulting all the time with just a straight pole. You should also film from up top so we can see what that person is doing.

Agreed, I would really like to see what the person above the water is doing while "pushing down and out" on the pole to put the vaulter in the take off position. if you have more images, i would really appreciate seeing them! I also want to know more about "20ft (schedule 40) pvc pipe inside of another 20ft pvc" i guess i am assuming the combination of one inside the other allows for flexiblity, but not too much where it would just amount to a wet noodle?

-glen

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”