swinging back

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

captaintrips
PV Newbie

swinging back

Unread postby captaintrips » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:36 pm

does anyone know drills for getting upside down faster after the plant, i can get everythign else right but i am swingign up too slow/ too late... any ideas?
yooooo

vaulter0512
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter0512 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:16 pm

One Drill we do we call ground drills......which is were you swing back break in the left arm and shoot you're hips into the pole and twist a little...while laying on the ground on you're back wish someone holding the pole for you and putting restiance on it.
Always Improve...Always Evolve...Never Give up...

pv4life
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pv4life » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:06 am

we also do that drill. it seems to work for me but I have to get faster.

opalkak
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.45m

Unread postby opalkak » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:11 am

getting upside down faster is not always what you want to do. I suggest you look at some video of elite vaulters and notice how long they are upright before they swing upside down. Many times high schoolers get upside down too quick, this leads to landing in the box :no: . High bar drills where you kick your feet to the bar first 5-6 times, and then on the next drill try and swing your hips to the bar. These may help.
...success is doing what you can do well and doing well whatever you can do

pv4life
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pv4life » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:17 am

thanks for the advise!

VAVAULTER
PV Nerd
Expertise: College coach for 10 years.
Lifetime Best: 17'(5.20)
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby VAVAULTER » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:39 pm

yes definatley what he said. it is import that you have a long powerful trail leg. sometimes if you think about getting back fast you might tend to bend the trail leg. and that is not what you want to happen. it is not how fast you turn up it is what you're body mechanics are doing when you turn up.
Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!!!!!

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:04 pm

hold low on the pole and do a run up from like 3 or 4 lefts (or rights if a lefty) plant, and straight pole, but (if a righty) curl the left leg up so the sole of your shoe is closest to the top of the pole and you right knee is at your right shoulder...eventually you can swing back and eith flip backwards or shoot both feet straight up in the air...
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:27 am

just do some trying olding lower on the pole. that helped me

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:32 am

* that was try doing some holding lower.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:22 pm

Here is what Doug Sparks e-mailed me regarding getting upside down and I'll put the link (again) on this thread.
Doug wrote: It will be fun when the weather's nicer. My suggestion is to find a place you can build parallel bars that are about 2' apart and about 8' high. You may be able to use the inside of a squat rack at the gym or some other rig but they are simple to build. You need to make four attempts a day at swinging upside down until your butt is over your head and your feet are pointing toward the ground behind you. This is the single most limiting technical factor that you can fix now. It took me a month to do one and now I can get 7-8 with 5 lb. ankle weights. All of the sudden - BOOM - I'm upside down on the pole and rising fast. Let me know when you get close to jumping and we can talk about some "getting started" rules to keep from blowing your Achilles and hamstrings.
http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/bardrill.htm
Once you get outside, try this one;
http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/drill.htm. Later..........Mike

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:24 am

We have a lot of drills that we do to help with "getting back." One of the ones that we do that you can easily do if you have any access to a gymnastics facility are rock backs (sounds kind of like the p bar drill that souleman was describing) where you hang on the rings, have a single swing with your legs, and then invert yourself and extend up....putting emphasis on using your lats to "row your hips up". This works well, and when you first do it you are really aware of anything that you are doing wrong.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”