PV Pet Peeves

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

csuvaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby csuvaulter » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:09 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
GirlPoleVaulter87 wrote:Worrying about wether your bus will get you to the meet on time, especially if they hold the bus for an extra half hour for the person that woke up too late.

I HATE that. We have a ton of meets that are an overnight trip away, and the sprinters NEVER want to get out of bed on time the next morning.

My school has this policy of NEVER waiting one minute longer than the scheduled departure time. One time they left one of our coaches! He had to basically follow the bus for hours and leave his car at some random gas station over the weekend. He was not very happy. :P

They leave athletes all the time, even on the way back home. We once started driving back from Regionals only to realize there was a kid still at the meet. If it's out of state, at least they'll go back for someone though! I can understand not wanting to wait for people (I think people should definitely be left if they don't want to get out of bed), but you'd think schools would at least have some kind of system to make sure everyone's on the bus for the way BACK...

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:08 pm

Ok, I'll Play. A vaulting pet peeve of mine is and always has been, vaulters that don't remember when a 7'6" or 8' opening height was pretty much all they could do, and if they made it they were tickled to death.
When I competed, depending on the meet (and how I felt) I could have waited till everyone had fouled out and made my one jump and have gone home. Most of the time though I'd start jumping at the second or third height cause I just loved to jump.
We didn't have much trouble with run throughs either cause, once again back in the stone age, 2 run throughs was a miss.
Later.................Mike

P.S. Come to think of it, when and if I do start jumping again I bet I'm going to feel pretty good the first time I make 8'.

txpolevaulter33
PV Beginner

Unread postby txpolevaulter33 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:28 pm

Nothing about vaulting bothers me except, clueless officials that seem to know everything....I hate it more then anything! It can ruin a whole meet.
Every waisted vault is a waisted opportunity

Axe
PV Beginner

Unread postby Axe » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:31 pm

someone else using my pole. (it just doesnt feel the same after someone else uses it.
Having to move just b4 your junior track year.
Not having an indoor season because your head track coach just thinks its more of an opertunity for someone to get injured.
Go Big Or Go Home

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:19 pm

Axe wrote:someone else using my pole. (it just doesnt feel the same after someone else uses it.

bah i dont really mind when others use my pole... its just when they retape it and so i dont kno where my grip is, it is like thicker and if they tape it up to down so it like rips my skin off..
i run, therefore im buff.

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:32 pm

SlickVT wrote:Lefties. Lefties annoy me. Take that.

DAMN YOU SLICK!!! i really wanted to be the first to say "i hate leftys"

i need to not take such long breaks from reading this board
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:26 pm

skyin' pimp wrote:
SlickVT wrote:Lefties. Lefties annoy me. Take that.

DAMN YOU SLICK!!! i really wanted to be the first to say "i hate leftys"

i need to not take such long breaks from reading this board

Heath man, I miss the days when you would taunt the s*** out of Duckworth on Vaultworld for being a lefty!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:54 pm

wet socks :P

vaulter0512
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter0512 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:25 pm

When the runway is uneven..or made out of two different types of runway...like one will be soft one hard all of the sudden i hate that!!

Another would be people who waste time during the 15mins we get to warm up before it's time to compete! the people just lay on the matts forever or stand in front of the box while talking to their coach...move you're .....!!!!!!! so others may go...But i yell at those people lol.
Always Improve...Always Evolve...Never Give up...

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:04 pm

i forgot to put this: when the pv runway is made of asphalt instead of rubber. :( hurts my shins ...

vaulter0512
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter0512 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:30 am

blazerunner121 wrote:i forgot to put this: when the pv runway is made of asphalt instead of rubber. :( hurts my shins ...

Yeah i already have to have specail things for my shoes..just because of shin splints!! And hard surfaces dont work for me!
Always Improve...Always Evolve...Never Give up...

VAVAULTER
PV Nerd
Expertise: College coach for 10 years.
Lifetime Best: 17'(5.20)
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby VAVAULTER » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:40 am

Yeah, The thing that makes me mad is the coach that acts like he/or she knows something and wont take any advice when they really dont know what the heck they are telling the kid to do, even when they have a talented athlete that needs more coaching.

And of course, running the step back at a meet when you have 30 people trying to warmup in an hours time. if you vault at practice then you should know atleast where to start in a meet. when i vault i know where my 5 step and 6 and 7 and 8 step is.

To everyone out there that runs their step back at every meet, yes there maybe some difference in where your step is at a meet compared to practice or indoor's or outdoors, but you should atleast konw where your starting point is everytime you start to warm up. if you start your 7 left @ 80 feet in practice then you can make it a safe bet to start it there during warmups of a meet. then adjust where you start.
Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!!!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”