planting or running with the pole?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:05 am

APKpolevaulter wrote:I dont see how you could fun faster pushing, but i dont know.

Run 2 timed 30's. For the first one, you have to run with your arms folded across your chest the entire distance. For the second one, pump your arms like a sprinter. Compare the times and let us know which one is faster.

Running with, sliding, or pushing (but not "dragging" please) is simply a faster way to run. You don't support the weight of the pole, the ground does. You might have 1/2 inch of pole touching the runway, so there's not a lot of surface area for friction to be much of a factor. Mainly, without the weight of the pole, you can run with much better posture, not leaning back, but really driving with good backside sprint mechanics all the way through the box. With one hand on the pole, the other is free to pump like a sprinter. There's no pole-drop to time up, just grab and punch overhead. Rarely does anyone ever miss the box, but I see kids plant over the box onto or under the pit all the time when they carry.

It isn't the best way for everyone, but is has its benefits. I say, use whatever makes you jump the highest! :idea:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:43 am

Does anyone have any video or photo progressions of a "push vault"? I've never seen anyone do it before :o

BritDawg
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Current Vaulter

Unread postby BritDawg » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:33 am

http://www.carolinaextreme.com/Index_files/page0005.htm

scroll down to the very bottom and click on Britni Lawrence 13'1.5"
Isaiah 40:31

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:43 pm

Thanks! Now I understand what everyone is saying :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”