PV Pet Peeves

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:40 pm

I once took a shot at 20' feet in high school. The bar stayed up. That's all that matters right?[/quote]

LOL. Would be very amusing to see on the results sheet.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:51 pm

Vault&Flip wrote:I once took a shot at 20' feet in high school. The bar stayed up. That's all that matters right?

LOL. Would be very amusing to see on the results sheet.[/quote]

I once saw a kid with a PR of 13' pass to 15' at the regional meet. He kicked it twice. Only thing I could think of was that he was going to go home and tell everybody he went out at 15'.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:23 pm

hahah me and my teammates were gonna do that... whoever wsa gonna win out of us. sicne we were like the only vaulters left, we were gonna b elike put it to 16'5" cuase i think 16'4 is the league record..adn they announce stuff like that when people try it.. so we wanted to get announced over a pa thigner adn stuff heh... but i wasnt even close to winning adn my friend musta forgot... but it was a great idea haha
i run, therefore im buff.

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:01 am

I'm not sure I would want it announced, what I was attempting.....Someone would be sure to start the clap only for me to travel under the bar :confused:

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:57 pm

When your fellow pole vaulters depants you infront of all the girls at practice.....that can get really annoying! :dazed:
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:12 pm

Azbeachboy1 wrote:When your fellow pole vaulters depants you infront of all the girls at practice.....that can get really annoying! :dazed:

you can say that again...... :o
Just you wait...

i_heart_pv
PV Fan

Unread postby i_heart_pv » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:33 pm

sharing a pole with like 4 other people...i personally just like to hold on to one pole because the pole is my friend :P

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:07 pm

i_heart_pv wrote:the pole is my friend :P

Speaking of which, those people who let go of the pole without knowing where they are, use your head!!
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:09 pm

As a parent I get fustrated with track coaches and officials that don't know the rules. More than once I have had to ask the host team to PLEASE go get the Head field event judge or the Official Starter for a technical error. I realize that EVERYONE doesn't live and breath P/V. But when the lack of knowledge takes away from the kids it's fustrating. I have "wined" enough over the years that some schools actualy "ASK" questions. An example - at our state meet for the last 2 years we have had collegent pegs, While not a big deal it is WRONG and could cost some athlete a win or a state record (we have asked for a correction but with no results or explanation - I even offered to bring the correct pegs to the meet and personaly change them !!!!!!!!!!!!). Now I'll get off my soap box.

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:29 am

We had a guy at our conference meet, he had a pr of 12'6, and he moved the bar up to like 13'10" to try for his school record. I started at that height, and tell you what, it was exciting because he came really close a couple of times. He was on a 13' pole mind you. We also had a freshman in our conference this year improve his PR from 10'6" as an 8th grader, to 13' as a freshman this year, he took 2nd in our conference. I love stuff like that, and I started the clap for them everytime.

I personally love the clap. It gets me pumped up, and idk, it jsut seems to be a relaxation factor when going for those higher heights. It is awesome.

A few pet peeves I have are people who trash their poles by throwing them, kicking them, etc. I also don't like it when people just scream swear words after an attempt, or get all mad and stuff. It shows poor sportsmanship in my eyes. Then people who talk crap like they are really good, but then clear like 12 barely, when all the good vaulters are jumping high, and not talking. The last one i have is people who say they have cleared so high in practice, and then when they jump you can tell they don't even come close to height near that. An example is a guy at Adidas said he jumped 17 in practice, and he couldn't even clear 14'11".

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:51 am

i_heart_pv wrote:sharing a pole with like 4 other people...i personally just like to hold on to one pole because the pole is my friend :P

I hate sharing poles. I get so used to using the same poles all the time, that when I have to share, it just feels weird when I don't have it in my hands while I even wait in line.....
All Hail the Legendary Sobe Beverage

Blackened Sun - My Personal Site

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:54 am

BethelPV wrote: A few pet peeves I have are people who trash their poles by throwing them, kicking them, etc. I also don't like it when people just scream swear words after an attempt, or get all mad and stuff. It shows poor sportsmanship in my eyes.

Soooo agree with you there. There's this one kid in my conference from the University of Southern Maine, and he gets so frustrated all the time even though he's pretty good. even when he does clear a decent height he bashes himself for not doing better.
All Hail the Legendary Sobe Beverage

Blackened Sun - My Personal Site

Return to “Pole Vault - General”