FASTEST POLE VAULTER

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

~jj~
PV Whiz

time conversion

Unread postby ~jj~ » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:54 pm

The difference between hand times and electric times in the 100m, is about .2. As an example, if you ran 10.5 hand time, your approximate electric time would be around 10.7.
One of the best ways to capture speed in pole vaulting is by simply counting frames with your video camera, so that if you know what shutter speed the camera shoots, and have site markers along the sides of the runway, say at 5' or 10' increments you can easily get feet per second and miles per hour.
~jan~

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:09 pm

Im not sure how the frame by frame works exactly? Could someone explain it?
On a whole new level 6-20-09

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:09 pm

Peter McGinnis has an article on that very topic at pvei.com:

http://pvei.com/vault/viewtopic.php?t=57

Say hi to your Dad.

Wilson

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:27 pm

oh... i wanna be fast. anyone know anything i can take for that. ;)
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:48 pm

yeah but its not legal.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Re: 100' pole run

Unread postby mikepv1 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:44 pm

~jj~ wrote:I think the long jump is a slightly better indicator of pole vault potential than the 100m.
~jj~

My former coach, Clark Humphreys, 1997 NCAA outdoor champion, was impressive. He long jumped 24' 9" with no technique. He also ran a 10.7 auto 100m, although I'm pretty sure he reached his peak speed around 45m-50m.

He vaulted 5.60 a few times in college before injuring himself. TERRIBLE plant, but crazy speed. He was one of the best off the top of the pole that I have ever seen. He vaulted 18' 4.5" on a 16' 185lb pole.

One day, at one of our practices, after not having vaulted in a year, he picked up a 15' 180, guessed his 7 left, and popped 17'. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He was nuts. Unbelievable ability to get vertical and stay vertical.

Russ jumped against Clark several times. He could probably tell you how interesting (or scary) it was to watch him jump. Two feet under every time--low bend--always looked like the pole was going to snap--shot off the top like he was launched out of a spear gun.
"For a few seconds, it is as if you are a bird."
-Sergei Bubka

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:37 am

I jumped with Clark a few times in 2000. He was to say the least, scary! No joke about the two feet under....I think 10 was a good step for him, even when he was gripping 16! He came back after not jumping for two years and place fourth at NCAA's with a 5.50 clearance. Incedentally, The old coach at Southwest Texas, (my alma matter--yep I'm finally done) Jerry Clayton coached Clark at Auburn.

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:23 pm

swtvault wrote:I jumped with Clark a few times in 2000. He was to say the least, scary! No joke about the two feet under....I think 10 was a good step for him, even when he was gripping 16! He came back after not jumping for two years and place fourth at NCAA's with a 5.50 clearance. Incedentally, The old coach at Southwest Texas, (my alma matter--yep I'm finally done) Jerry Clayton coached Clark at Auburn.

Yeah I 've talked to Clayton a few times--knowledgeable about the vault, but likes sticking around the throwers.

Clark has his fair share of quirks, but I have to hand it to him: coming back like he did was no small task. It's a shame he didn't stay with it after college. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done if he had improved his takeoff.

-Sergei Bubka

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:38 am

I think the reason he didn't really stay with it was because that under plant was catching up to him and he was having problems with his back.

He coaches the vault team at Auburn now. He and his wife (Erin Narizinsky Humphreys) are expecting a baby (their first) in May of this year.

-Sergei Bubka

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:51 am

haha yeah an under plant never ends well we have a guy on our team that fractured a l5 vertabre because of his plant :dazed:
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:53 pm

vaulter870 wrote:haha yeah an under plant never ends well we have a guy on our team that fractured a l5 vertabre because of his plant :dazed:

lol, last outdoors...was not a fun experience not being able to hyperextend my back for like 5 weeks...
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:46 pm

vaulter870 wrote:haha yeah an under plant never ends well we have a guy on our team that fractured a l5 vertabre because of his plant :dazed:

maybe because he grips 13' and takes off at like 7-6?? :P
What have you done today to get better?

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”