Jumping High!

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:01 pm

The swing up is something that is developed at the takeoff. It comes from your body creating that reverse c position and storing elastic energy, in combination with an active movement from the shoulders. I do feel while you need some core strength as any good athlete in any sport does, you do not have to and extremely strong core to get vertical on the pole. Jump up actively, plant high, and you should pretty close to fine. I mean of course core strength can help, but generate a good trail leg, and you'd be even more surprised.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:29 pm

jump up on to a rope and hang then with out swing backwards first try to get up side down. then try swinging backwards first and try to swing up side down. you can learn to swing good this way.
i think before my days are done.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:04 pm

I agree that technique work is more important than weight training. But if you become a good technician and train the propper muscles the propper way then theres no stopping you. The time to get faster and stronger though is the off season... Then maintain during the seaon. My apologies to Saraf I didnt know he jumped 5.30 I didnt keep up with the high school guys very well last year.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:38 pm

not a prob about hte PR .. i don't know ANY one's pr on this page .. and I was thinking. I like this topic

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:52 pm

yeah i thought we were in desperate need of something like this to fight and argue over but in the end you really get a sense of what other people are doing and what they tthink about pre season training. so in the end we all really win cause you get alot of info that you normaly wouldnt if only one person was giving you their thoughts, and to everyone that has posted on this topic thanks for the info and keep it coming ifyou have any ideas on how to jump high and what it takes. and to saraf thats awsome that you jumped 5.30 and to be from NJ way to go thats where i am origanialy from. i am hoping for 5.00 or higher this season but wew will see what happens in indoor
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:09 am

I would say for me body awareness, flexibility, and speed got me to jumping where I am today. I am not a very strong person either, with a bench at about 170 pounds, but I focused on technique and never quit working my butt off. I run as hard as I can, and hold as stiff as poles as I can. I jump on 15' poles that are 20 lbs over my weight, and that has a made a huge difference as well. Once you learn the basics of the plant, and really get that down, move to really focusing on the sweep and rockback as well. When I got to where I could rockback a lot farther, thats when heights started coming. Also, make sure your not planting like a foot and a half to two feet under. When I finally got my plant out within 6 inches of where I was supposed to be, the higher heights started coming with the stiffer poles I was able to jump on. Just work hard, and don't give up!

Saraf, are you doing any training down there at Georgia yet? Hows the weather, it is freezing up here in Indiana now...lol.

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:38 am

talk about weak ... I was benching and i had 20's on each side of the bar and my arms were shaking like no other. the weather here is great and there is LOTS of traing. It is starting to pay off. hopefuly it will keep on going this well untill reno (our 1st meet) how bout you up ther in indiana

BethelPV
PV Follower

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:17 am

Training was going well until the weather got crappy. It actually hailed on us this past weekend, and snow is in the near forcast :crying: I heard we get to move indoors to vault at Meyo field house of Notre Dame here pretty soon though. That should be cool :yes:

I don't think I will be able to make Reno this year, because our school wont send us, and my finances are capable of sending me this year. It sucks, but I am going to save for next year.

Zachmo

Courts
PV Beginner

Unread postby Courts » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:06 pm

vaulting indoors is really good because you don't get frustrated over weather conditions, but just beware it will be an weird transition when you move back outdoors!

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:54 pm

Hey adam I herd you had mono or sumthing, are you all better now.

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:54 pm

yea dude. mono SUCKS!!! but i think i am almost back 100%. I have been jumping great yet i can barely run 100m its kinda funny

BethelPV
PV Follower

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:37 pm

hey who did you get mono from? New girlfriend down there? :P

Zachmo

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”