Jumping High!

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Jumping High!

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:27 am

Ok i have a question for all the people in this forum that have jumped 5m or 16'4.25''(i think im not a big metric fan) what sort of training did you emphisize on so that you could start jumping this high. i know that technique is key in jumping this high but i also know that strength and speed also play a key factor in this also. i have been emphisizing on speed for the last month or so and will continue to do so but i also want to know if any of other vaulters found it necessary to have alot of strength as well.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:50 am

If you can do one pullup you can jump 5m.

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:10 pm

what if i can do 30 ;)

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:25 pm

personally I think strength is very important. Im not saying you need to bench 300lbs but you should be fairly strong upper body, core , and legs. Also bounding and plyometrics are great for developing the explosive muscles. If you look at some of the good decathletes some of them can jump between 4.90m and 5.20m not because of there technique but because they are very strong and fast. I would say get as fast and strong as possible without putting on to much bulk and losing flexibility!
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:26 pm

My coach banned me from the wieght room. All I could do was gymanastics and imitative exercises.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:46 pm

so then keep flexibility by running and gymnastics exercises and build up core and upper-body strength. Also do lots of plyos if i understood everything correct.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:29 pm

Rockback like a Mother, and look for your Bottom hand then push your top hand of the shoulder of your top hand. Use a 15' pole.
i think before my days are done.

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:45 pm

i like scotts suggestion with the 15' pole thats clutch.. but in the weight room HA it is a joke. ALL the guys and about 1/2 of the girls can out lift me with ease. I am sure it will help if i get stronger but i am not very stong at all and i did decent last year and i am still progressing

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:55 pm

saraf wrote:i did decent last year and i am still progressing

Decent? You were the nation leader for hs boys last season.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:32 am

vaulter870 wrote:so then keep flexibility by running and gymnastics exercises and build up core and upper-body strength. Also do lots of plyos if i understood everything correct.

Stretching is a goodway to stay flexible and stay injury free. And for plyo's its more of an offseason regiment, if you do them in season keep them light. A lot of people on this board seem to think you dont have to get faster or stronger. The best example I can give is this; Saraf jumped around 5.10? I think there are decathletes out there (example Brian Clay who's pr is around 5.10) who have horrible technique and can jump 5.10 consistently. So I bet that if Brian Clay was as good of a technician as Saraf he would probably jump 5.80 consistently. Or- If Saraf had Clays ability he would probably jump 5.80 consistelntly. Look at Skipper you always here people on here rip his technIue off the ground well his first decathlon ever he scored 7500! I bet he wouldnt of jumped 18-9 if he hadnt put time into getting FASTER and STRONGER. tHE REASON HE CAN JUMP THAT HIGH IS BECAUSE HE IS A BEAST!
On a whole new level 6-20-09

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:26 am

KYLE ELLIS wrote:
vaulter870 wrote:so then keep flexibility by running and gymnastics exercises and build up core and upper-body strength. Also do lots of plyos if i understood everything correct.

Stretching is a goodway to stay flexible and stay injury free. And for plyo's its more of an offseason regiment, if you do them in season keep them light. A lot of people on this board seem to think you dont have to get faster or stronger. The best example I can give is this; Saraf jumped around 5.10? I think there are decathletes out there (example Brian Clay who's pr is around 5.10) who have horrible technique and can jump 5.10 consistently. So I bet that if Brian Clay was as good of a technician as Saraf he would probably jump 5.80 consistently. Or- If Saraf had Clays ability he would probably jump 5.80 consistelntly. Look at Skipper you always here people on here rip his technIue off the ground well his first decathlon ever he scored 7500! I bet he wouldnt of jumped 18-9 if he hadnt put time into getting FASTER and STRONGER. tHE REASON HE CAN JUMP THAT HIGH IS BECAUSE HE IS A BEAST!

No doubt strength and speed play a huge part in jumping really high (speed more than strength IMO), however I agree with Saraf (whose pr is 5.30, not 5.10) that technique is really important, and largely overlooked by most people (particularly in the college community). Even if they used steroids (which I do not advocate), not many people will ever get as big, fast, or strong as the Tommy Skippers and Bryan Clay's. Get as fast and strong as you can, but don't sacrifice technical work in the process. Not too many golfers who can drive the ball 400 yards learned to do it in the weight room - it's technique.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:24 pm

ok well so far i have heard the strength and speed are good but not as important as technique. I can totaly realate to that considering i didnt get any stronger and faster and i jumped from 12'6''to 15' it was deffinetly all technique. i also like the idea of just ripping on a 15' pole but in order to do that dont you have to be fast enough t get on a 15' pole? And also for technique, if you want a really good push off and swing up dont you have to strong and have excelent core strength to? just something to think about
;)

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”