running workouts

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

running workouts

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:12 pm

okay some of you may be not want to talk about it. but im curious as to what some of the other universities are running for workouts right now. We pretty much do nothing but between 5-9 200s with a few 100s scattered on a day or 2. and boy am i feeling burned out already. this is 5 weeks of 200s. just looking for comparison sake.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:14 pm

You're burned out, my coach has our team run two minute runs! The guys have to make 650 meters in 2 minutes, and the girls have to make 575m. You run two of them. If you fail to make one, then you have to run another-- max 3. But you get 6 minutes of rest in between each run. After you run these, your legs feel like that they are about to drop from your torso and you get some serious butt cramps. :(

Also, we have accountability partners, this means that is you, or you partner doesn't make the distance, you will have to run another with them.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

rickkane
PV Beginner

Unread postby rickkane » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:34 pm

Some one has to talk to your coaches fellas, we do all tmacks work outs which never has you runen over 900 meters never more the 150 at a time. Preseason conditioning we will run around a football feild 8 times really picking it up and stressing form threw the endzones twice a week. It is good s*** and its on grass. speaking of of grass tell Escibarr Knoxville is have a dry spell.
all i need is a cool buzz and some tastey waves

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:04 pm

I've been doing the Texas State workouts. We've mostly been doing lots of running drills and circuits. I haven't run more than 100 meters in a row.

My hamstrings are still fairly sucky, so it's just as well that I am not overtraining.

NUVAULTER
PV Nerd

Unread postby NUVAULTER » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:26 am

we do circuits 3 times a week. A circuit is in Memorial stadium. We "gallop" which is basically using one leg and jumping up half way then swithch legs then we sprint all the way to the top. Then we run around the football field and come back and do pushups, ab rollers, push pull and back extensions and this whols Circuit is one. This week is a 4 6 6 week 4 mon 6 wend 6 fri. Its pretty tough but gets us fast and in good shape. We do technique and sprint work the other days.... I think it works great.
Husker Track and Field.

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:18 pm

Has anyone seen www.bubbapv.com and seen his running workout. Do you think that it is good for the advanced but not elite high schooler?

LostGirl23KM
PV Newbie

Unread postby LostGirl23KM » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:34 am

Well... I train with our sprinters/hurdlers/jumpers... and most of the time our workouts are pretty decent (I feel like a few are not beneficial, but most are).

Some of the ones I feel help me the most are running hills on the streets behind our campus (which range from 100m to 150m, about 8 hills), there's one we do on our uphill sidewalk behind the library that's 200m (we do 6 of those, between 34-38 pace), there's also a 100m hill that's pretty steep that we do about 5 or 6 of. We'll run 200m and finish it with two sets of stairs (4 of those). Ummm... We'll do one where we run ten 200s with 60 second rest in between, I HATE that workout. We have a lot of stuff we don't do on the track, epsecially in fall training.

Anyway... sometimes I feel we (ME, especially) need more SPEED work, especially since I run a whole 94-95 feet! and I'm SLOOOOOOW. If anyone knows good speed drills, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!
"Like an angel with two broken wings, reach the sky again. Like a devil, meant for better things, I will find my place up high."

polecat
PV Fan

Unread postby polecat » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:58 pm

Check out the Ty Law article in this week's Sports Illustrated. It summarizes the training program Bob Kersee developed for him so that he could build speed, strength and stamina -- and improve as a professional football player. It's a good example of what a sound fitness regimen can do to improve performance in any sport that is based on speed and strength.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:25 pm

We do 6x200 w/ 70 secods rest at 33 pace. tues. and on thur. we do 8x100. walk the curves. On MWF we do pole runs with 17' poles.
i think before my days are done.

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:15 am

we do lots of different running things and its hard and i stink at all of them

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:45 am

saraf wrote:we do lots of different running things and its hard and i stink at all of them

LOL yeah that's what everyone of your teammates I have talked to mentioned :P

I was in Athens last week, but it was only a really brief stop.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:09 am

OAKPV2004 wrote:We do 6x200 w/ 70 secods rest at 33 pace. tues. and on thur. we do 8x100. walk the curves. On MWF we do pole runs with 17' poles.

So how are you likeing U of H?
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”