lance

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
vaultgirl1028
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaultgirl1028 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:33 pm

like i was aying though its not just that he got a divorce i mean that happens with pepes all the time but hes just doesnt seem like a real good role model or someone to look up to although i do agree he is an awesome athlete no doubt i was just watching him on tv
PR: 12'
I believe i can fly.....?

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:37 pm

vaultgirl1028 wrote:like i was aying though its not just that he got a divorce i mean that happens with pepes all the time but hes just doesnt seem like a real good role model or someone to look up to although i do agree he is an awesome athlete no doubt i was just watching him on tv

you say this but give no reason why he would not be a good role model.

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Unread postby RoySloppy » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:03 pm

not a role model? This guy is a cancer survivor. he was not given much hope of living by doctors. and to come back from almost certain death and become arguably one of the greatest athletes of our time?? i think hes a perfect role model, if you are gonna say something negative about someone at least give one good reason, not just say hes not a good role model for the fun of it. also, he is one of the most tested cyclists out there, and has never failed a drug test. so throw your doping allegations out the window.
VA for Life!!

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Lance

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:27 pm

I have always had extreme respect for Lance Armstrong as an athlete and a cancer survivor. But I did see a TV special the other night that was all about him and the connections he has with a doctor that has been involved in drugs with athletes etc. The drug they were talking about was EPO and the tests for that drug are apparently not very reliable. They also had a guy on that had been on the same team with Lance for years and I think was the first American to win the Tour de France and the whole special did make me question the statement "I have never failed a drug test." He didn't say I have never used drugs...just that he had never failed a drug test. They were talking about everything from injecting calves blood, epo, and several other things all the way to people taking trash from his room that had syringes in it and driving it about an hour away to dispose of it because they know that even the trash in athletes' rooms is gone through. They also tied in questioning how he made such a miraculous recovery from cancer to the possibility of drugs.

I am not saying I believe the allegations, just that it certainly did make me wonder. You really want someone like Lance or Marion to be innocent, but maybe we are being fooled..maybe we have a little too much Mayberry and Andy Taylor mentality?

I think every athlete should be considered innocent until proven guilty just as anyone accused of a crime, but I think that right now he and Marion Jones are about in the same boat.... :confused:....but I still WANT them to be innocent... :(

As far as his personal life....I had seen something some time back about Lance and his former wife and how supportive she was of him during the whole cancer thing, so I was really suprised to see them showing him with Cheryl Crow! It made me sad....whosever "fault" it was....
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:24 am

I tend to think Armstrong is clean but as we have seen you just never know. With all the scrutiny he has undergone the last few years (some of the European journalists are quite nasty - but they suspect anybody who wins is dirty), I would think someone would have come up with some hard evidence that he is doping. He was already an international caliber cyclist before he got cancer but he was more of a one day rider and let his emotions control his riding a little too much.
I think having cancer gave him a huge mental edge. Winning the Tour probably seems a lot easier after having to fight for your life. Ulrich should have won more than one Tour by now but he just doesn't have it in his head- everybody agrees hes the most talented rider in the race. It also completely broke down his body and allowed him to rebuild it perfectly, which is huge in the case of an endurance athlete.
Off the bike think what you want about him but I'm of the opinion that there are more important things than winning the Tour.

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Unread postby RoySloppy » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:33 am

this attitude we have of marion and lance is bordering on guilty until proven innocent. no one has rock solid evidence on either of them. they should not have to defend themselves against something that hasnt been proven. and if you say theres conncetions, well talking to people is not illegal. if you talk to a drug dealer, does it mean your buying drugs? we should stop focusing on drugs and focus on lances amazing accomplishments.
VA for Life!!

Return to “General”