who do you guys think the best pv coach is??????

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

PVDad
PV Nerd
Expertise: Parent, Fan, AAU and USATF Coach and Meet Director

Unread postby PVDad » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:36 am

JHEM wrote:That's her in my avatar skying over 14'1" at Skyjumpers last year in Atascadero.

http://www.skyjumpers.com/clubpics/pages/maugham.htm

In case anyone has a problem reconciling my present avatar to the above description, I've changed it to a picture of her with Bill Cosby when she won PV at Penn Relays (and set the present record!) in 2000.
That's my baby girl!!

PVDad
PV Nerd
Expertise: Parent, Fan, AAU and USATF Coach and Meet Director

Unread postby PVDad » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:20 pm

JHEM wrote:In case anyone has a problem reconciling my present avatar to the above description, I've changed it to a picture of her with Bill Cosby when she won PV at Penn Relays (and set the present record!) in 2000.

I've changed it again! Now it shows Steph inverted at this year's Wrightsville Beach Vault.

(Yes, she made it!)
That's my baby girl!!

jhawksteele
PV Newbie

Unread postby jhawksteele » Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:20 pm

Rick Attig is the greatest coach of all time. He has more 18 footers than any other collegiate coach ever has. I had the privelage to vault for him for 3 years, then there was a coaching change and he moved to Nebraska. Not only is he a great coach, but he is one of the best people I've ever met. I think of him as a second father.

oldkuvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby oldkuvaulter » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:14 am

Attig was a good coach but alot of good things are happening at KU now with Bryan Ferry. He is doing a great job with Vadim, Jeremy and Yvonne. Those three should qualify for NC's if they stay healthy. and there should be another 2 18'ers to KU's list.

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:12 am

When you guys say that Attig is a great coach because he has coached so many 18+ vaulters what, we really need to think about is, how good were all these vaulters when they came to him from hs. 17 to 18 isnt such a big jump compared to 16-18 or even 15 to 18. I know nebraska gets alot of great vaulters out of hs. Which coach has improved his vaulters the most out of hs?
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

natdog
PV Wannabe

Unread postby natdog » Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:24 am

I believe Scott Huffman was a 14'-6" jumper out of H.S. He went to K.U.
with coach Attig and jumped 19' plus.
run high and hold fast

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:54 am

the problem arises though that the higher you go the harder it is to improve as we all know.....if you take a 15 foot vaulter out of highschool, more than likely that jumper can increase his pr by 2 feet or more in 4 years of college...if you take a 17 foot vaulter, getting them to improve 2 or more feet is much harder....this is common knowledge too everyone, but i just figured i'd remind you all (not in defense or against anyone) but that this needs to be taken into consideration.....it's not a coachs fault if they get great athletes out of highschool, they just have to coach differently and not expect as drastic of improvements from their vaulters...
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

NSUPolevaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby NSUPolevaulter » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:30 pm

Coach DON HOOD and DON HOOD Jr. are the best PV coahes in the world. Don Hood Sr. coaches for ACU....he coached Billy Olson back in the day. And Coach Don Hood Jr. used to coach at Southwest Texas Univ., but now he is the Head Coach at Texas Tech. Last year he had 5 guy vaulters at once over 17 ft, and three girls over 13 ft. They are both awesome....like father like son.
Run fast, hold high, get on a BIG stick!

vaulter580
PV Whiz

??

Unread postby vaulter580 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:54 am

hey if you are going by those standards try this out,
at one time EARL BELL had four 19 footers and one girl over 15 feet and others over 14 and 13..........so if that is what you base your decision on then who is better????

at the same time earl also had at least four more guys with 17'6" or better
BZ
Arkansas State University
sign yo pitty on da runny kine!!!

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:50 am

Jeff Robbins of Airtime Athletics has quite a few female vaulters over 12', and these girls are mostly in highschool...I'll said again so you heard me, highschool! Everyone I've talked to says he's the best in New England and I agree. Just check the PR's http://users.rcn.com/airtimepv/personalrecords.htm
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:21 pm

Some clarification.....

Coach hood jr was my coach for the last four years. We did have four over 17 last year....should have had 5 but thornhill was too big of a wuss. Momo Pundt was the only girl we had over 13 last year, but Becky was real close at 12'8. Becky also high jumps 6' and runs the hurdles in low 14's. she is a stud.

I agree with BZ. I would say that EB is the man of the world when it comes to vault coaching. I also think we have the greatest coaches and vaulters in the world right here in the US. Honestly, I dont know a whole hell of alot about EBs style, but he does have three of the top 10 male vaulters in the world out there in Jonesboro. Hard to argue that one.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:48 am

I have heard many great things about EB, but being from Arizona and being a vaulter here, i must say arizona has one of the best coaching staffs in the united states.I have worked with several coaches here whether it be at camps or practices when my main coach can't do it, and i have learned and gained a lot of respect for several of these pole vault coaches. Greg Hull and Todd Lehman of Sky Athletics, coach Nick Hysong, Adam Keull, and sometimes/former coaches of April Steiner, Brandon Bennet, Melissa Meuller, and several other vaulters, run a great program. Other coaches in Arizona include Jeff Guy (2002 high school coach of the year as decided by the reno summit), and my normal coach, and a great coach I must say, Cranston Hysong (father of nick hysong and coach of several Arizona state record holders, and several 15'-16'+ guys.) These coaches, along with many others in Arizona, are the reason i do believe that Arizona has possibly one of the deepest, and best coaching staffs for pole vault in the united states. Just thought i would represent Arizona here for a minute, lol, just some info i thought i would put out there though it does kind of vary the topic a little bit.

This is not intended to take away credit from any other vault program,just to boast of what i personally feel we have going here in Arizona
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”