FASTEST POLE VAULTER

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:32 am

russvault wrote:Don't hate!!!!

Just Vault!! :P

you can only vault some of the time, but you can hate lonnie ANYTIME of the day.
8700... mark it down

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:56 am

Oh your pushing it Trey. Just wait, and don't get Russ in on this. LB

russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

Unread postby russvault » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:23 pm

HEy Lonnie,
I want to know what that is about.

hollar at me!!!!

Trey, transfer man!!!!

Just Joking man!!!

Good Luck in your Decas!!!
I was just seeing how far I could push you!

baggettpv
PV Master

Petrovs info

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:24 am

Hey all,
As an ancient coach here in the NW I need to let you guys know that Andjei brought all this info to America in the 80's. I have been using his testing procedure for determining areas of training needs and his development plan since I first started to hang out with him in '85.
I presented his athletic testing evaluations at the Reno Summit in about 1995 to 3 groups of about 200 people. Still have the tests. haven't seen em used since.
They really do work. If you plug in athletes I have worked with in the past you will see the development system they were under (David Lemen in Dec). The system always works, the results may differ based on the talent of the athlete (learning curve for you teacher types).
My belief about the 6 meter jump in America is that we don't have a developmental system to provide the opportunities for it.
Thats ok tho. No one ever asks my opinion...They just tell everyone how they are gonna break em down and build em up again.

Just my thoughts and if i piss you off, oh well.

Rick

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:53 am

Don't worry about pissing anyone off Rick. Maybe someday you'll be head of USATF PV Development.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Petrovs info

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:31 am

baggettpv wrote: No one ever asks my opinion...

I do! You're the man O:-)

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:34 pm

I'd definitely have to say that Bubka would have been pretty close, with 9.94 m/sec at the box. That kind of takeoff speed is blistering, to say the least. That is also part of the reason why SB, at 183 cm (6' 1") tall, and weighing 80 kg (176 lb), could get on a 5.20/10.6 pole.

Hysong ran 10.29 100m in Flagstaff, Arizona, in July of 2000 before the Sydney Olympics. I do not know if it was hand timed, but Nick is fast.

Toby is very fast, but I doubt he is faster than Bubka, as his height and weight are almost exactly the same is Bubka's, and yet he vaults on a 5.10/12.6. Of course, Toby vaults on Pacer Carbon FX poles, which utilize a spiral wrap, while the UCS-Spirit poles that Bubka vaulted on utilize a spin wrap. This difference in wrap could make for a discrepancy in the flex ratings (though not the lengths) and technique might explain the rest. (Toby hasn't yet been vaulting as long as Bubka had when he set the world record. Plus, Toby currently has no coach. Thus, his technique is not yet as polished as it probably will be down the line.) So, Toby could conceivably be that fast, and if he is not, he is young and has plenty of time to get faster.

However, as of right now, I think Bubka has to be the fastest. A speed of 9.94 m/sec at the box when you're carrying a 5.20/10.6 in your hands is hard to beat. Besides, Bubka's world record of 6.15 m and his 44 career jumps over 6 m or higher speak for themselves. The next person down, Tarasov, has only jumped 6 m or more 7 times (as has Hartwig).

As for the fastest vaulter currently vaulting, I am not sure. Toby would be up there, though.

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:54 pm

mikepv1 wrote:Hysong ran 10.29 100m in Flagstaff, Arizona, in July of 2000 before the Sydney Olympics. I do not know if it was hand timed, but Nick is fast.

got to be hand-timed. or with a 3 or 4 meter tail wind
8700... mark it down

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

Keenan King

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:03 pm

This Guy has to be the fastest cat i have ever seen on a runway in person ever, he runs like a 20 200 time, and is sickening on the runway, he jumped 18 at colvis, real cool guy too. but he isnt a huge guy but he is one some big poles for his size, like 16 200s but with his speed and plant he rocks them, i was impressed, remember his name it will be coming up in the future trust me on that one
Train Harder than your competition

DecHep
PV Newbie

Fastest Vaulter

Unread postby DecHep » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:37 pm

TreyDECA will be among the fastest. He's already run in the 10.40's, and will be in the 10.20's within the next two years.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Fastest Vaulter

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:17 am

DecHep wrote:TreyDECA will be among the fastest. He's already run in the 10.40's, and will be in the 10.20's within the next two years.

Yeah can't wait to see how high he vaults when he learns how to :P

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Items of Interest

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:57 am

Bubka weight might have been 80kg early in his career but you will also see it listed at 85kg - so that is hard to compare. Bubka also set his early records on a Pacer pole with spiral wraps and switched when the company was sold and his main contact help start Spirit. Legend has it he switched only after they said they could build a similar pole.

Toby I believe also has some poles bigger than 12.6 -

Flex number only give part of the equation - that is how the pole behaves in the initial part of the bend

Speed at take-off is what counts - while 100m speed is a good indicator - as Mikepv1 said - near 10m/s at take-off is a huge part of it
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”