why is SHE bending the pole?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

polevaultinchic
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaultinchic » Thu May 20, 2004 12:21 pm

I kind of know how u feel and you just need to focus on what you need to do and not what your teammate is doing because you two obviously have differnet aspects of your technique that you need to focus on, if you worry about what she is doing and don't focus on what you need to do to improve then how will you get better?

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu May 20, 2004 8:43 pm

Don't worry about what she is doing or what your coach is trying to teacher her. Just keep working hard and jumping higher. You'll get the attention you deserve one they see you improving and getting better.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

polevaulter245
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaulter245 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:47 am

if you widen your grip it will make it easier to bend it.

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:45 pm

"A wide grip would not provide the simultaneous and high pole plant with both hands, and would not produce a swift and powerful turn on the pole. Only with full extension of the body after the foreward and upward take-off can one very swiftly make the swing and turn on the pole. Moreover, a narrow grip on the pole forces one, however paradoxical it may sound, more quickly to bend the pole after take-off and safegauards the shoulders from injuries which are more frequently fuffered by vaulters using a wide grip. A good extended position at the end of the take-off is a key feature both in fast rock-back/upswing on the pole and for maximum bending of the pole. The rock-back and upswing must be completed before the pole begins to straighten or the conclusion of the swing up must mark the start of the pole straightening; the rock-back and upswing on the pole is considered complete when the vaulter has managed to cover the arc of the pole with his (her) hips and legs, while the legs somehow serve as a continuation of the upper end of the pole." Vitaly Petrov, Bubka's coach.

SkyHigh21
PV Fan

Unread postby SkyHigh21 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:44 pm

Do not widen your grip. It teaches bad habbits. learn to plant and swing. Get faster. Dont work around the problem by forcing a bend out of your pole.
When good my jump... it will be done!- Sergei Bubka
(1994 interview about breaking the world record)

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:23 am

"Good my jump...It will be done." Bubka

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:33 am

there's been bunches of yahoo's that have cleared 15'+ straight pole.. but, screw 'em.. that was old, bend the crap out of that pole!!!!!!!!
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:36 am

hell.. screw petrov also.. use a wide grip..
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:20 am

superchau88 wrote:my coach
coaches are dumb, my old coach who i had for four years, who made me captain said my name wrong at the sports banquet. I think it's the only time he ever tried to say it.
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:19 pm

Vaulterchick88 wrote:
superchau88 wrote:my coach
coaches are dumb, my old coach who i had for four years, who made me captain said my name wrong at the sports banquet. I think it's the only time he ever tried to say it.

i'm happy my coach isn't dumb or stupid, but understanding. i prolly couldn't do track & field if there was a mean coach on my case everyday.

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:35 pm

I'm at the Lakeside vault camp right now, and the coaches there are fantastic. There are things i'm working on i never knew were wrong with my vault because in my two years of vaulting no coach has ever said anything to me.
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"

- Anonymous

vault-o-holik
PV Newbie

Unread postby vault-o-holik » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:19 am

What I've learned about vaulting is that you first have to learn how to swing all the way up to the pole, which will give you lots of height before you even learn how to bend the pole. What happened w/ me was that a coach of mine put me on a pole that was really stiff so it was impossible for me to bend it. Then he made me straight pole off a 3-step run, and so the only way I could get really high was to swing all the way up and get inverted, and the works. I cleared very close to my PR while straighpoling w/ good form, on a THREE STEP, as opposed to bending the pole from a SIX STEP. Later on my coach put me back on a 130 that I could bend and I swung all the way up just like I had straightpoled and it was magic. Just goes to show you that bending the pole might not be the best thing to do until you get your form straightened out. Sorry I wrote so much...hope it helps!
[[ K I S S T H E S M O G ]]

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”