Olympic Trials Predictions

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:04 pm

whats burts? burt reynolds???
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:13 pm

NUVAULTER wrote:hey buddy hate to burts your bubble but cracking the top 3 would mean he qualified.....

ok, i meant that he probably isnt going to qualify for the olympics, but i could see him doing so. as in if i got good enough odds i would bet on him. hey, i wonder if vegas handicaps the olympic trials

avaulteriam
PV Newbie

why not?

Unread postby avaulteriam » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:45 am

All I want to know is why people don't think Tommy will make it? When has he ever backed down from a challenge? Even indoor NCAAs this year was cool. I saw the results and was confused by his defeat, then I realized he lost by 10cm but was jumping at 19 ft due to his strategy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think he has all the potential in the world. Let's see what happens on Saturday, then we'll talk!
"I just gripped it and Ripped it!"

--Toby!

NUVAULTER
PV Nerd

Re: why not?

Unread postby NUVAULTER » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:55 am

avaulteriam wrote:All I want to know is why people don't think Tommy will make it? When has he ever backed down from a challenge? Even indoor NCAAs this year was cool. I saw the results and was confused by his defeat, then I realized he lost by 10cm but was jumping at 19 ft due to his strategy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think he has all the potential in the world. Let's see what happens on Saturday, then we'll talk!

once again tommy has jumped 5.75 once.... once there are 10 vaulter who consistantly jump 5.8 it will take a it will take a 5.80 to crack the top 3 get off Skippers nuts man.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:06 am

Ok, we all know Tommy has got TONS of talent....this seems to be getting harsh so lets just watch and see...make your predictions and wait and see...not really a need to get personal....I agree that everything is up in the air at this point, lots of talent. Gonna come down to who has a good day, end of story.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Re: why not?

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:27 am

NUVAULTER wrote:
avaulteriam wrote:All I want to know is why people don't think Tommy will make it? When has he ever backed down from a challenge? Even indoor NCAAs this year was cool. I saw the results and was confused by his defeat, then I realized he lost by 10cm but was jumping at 19 ft due to his strategy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think he has all the potential in the world. Let's see what happens on Saturday, then we'll talk!

once again tommy has jumped 5.75 once.... once there are 10 vaulter who consistantly jump 5.8 it will take a it will take a 5.80 to crack the top 3 get off Skippers nuts man.

ok, didnt you pick eshbach as a potential team member, but isnt his pr 570(ok, this is way up there and is above the olympic A standard so he could make the team, but skipper has the A standard as well). this goes against your argument that skipper has no chance. i think most people, including myself believe skipper has the POTENTIAL to make the team but this does not necessarily mean that it will happen this year. odds are it wont, but if it does and you are surprised then you have not been following skipper's results this year. he seems to be coming around at the right time, but again, he is not in my predictions but im not counting him out

tdtb
PV Nerd
Expertise: Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Unread postby tdtb » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:13 am

It all adds up to one day of vaulting, JULT 11, anyone of the previous mentioned guys could do it.

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:33 am

Stevenson
Hartwig
Miles

Dragila
Sauer
Johnson

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:38 am

tdtb wrote:It all adds up to one day of vaulting, JULT 11, anyone of the previous mentioned guys could do it.

i think that says it all. i think that anyone with the A standard has a chance.

NUVAULTER
PV Nerd

Unread postby NUVAULTER » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:05 pm

I have followed his meet i have been at most of them and jumped against him as well, and the one reason i said Eshbach is yes hes my teammate and I have been watching him prepare and Eric is from Texas and he always jumps well there, Ive seen skipper jump, he runs fast and grips high thats it,

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:28 pm

NUVAULTER wrote:I have followed his meet i have been at most of them and jumped against him as well, and the one reason i said Eshbach is yes hes my teammate and I have been watching him prepare and Eric is from Texas and he always jumps well there, Ive seen skipper jump, he runs fast and grips high thats it,

i dont mean to sound like a jerk and drill this subject into the ground but the trials are in sacramento. and although there is more to this sport than gripping high, that is one of the reasons why does have a shot at the trials, be it an outside one.

of course you would be a jerk for not picking your teammate and since he has seemed to have a great season so far and is preparing well, then that pick is definately justified.

i just done know why half this board thinks skipper has no chance and the other half thinks he is going to go for sure. i put him somewhere in the middle which is pretty amazing considering he just finished his first year of college.

man, talking on this subject makes me feel like i should stop typing and go lift some weights or something so that i can jump higher. oh well, ill just start training for the 2008 trials on monday giving me a head start on skipper, eshbach, stevenson and the like ;)

PV Wannabe

Unread postby 95 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:47 pm

does anyone else think that Norberg can step up again like he did in the videos on Neovault? (there was at least nineteen feet of height in one of those jumps)

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”