Early Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:14 am

Looks like Chip signed with Florida.

From Gatorzone.com:
University of Florida Men’s Track and Field Head Coach Mike Holloway announced Wednesday the signing of four athletes to National Letters of Intent during the early signing period. Sprinters Reggie Witherspoon (Marietta, Ga.), Kerron Clement (Laporte, Texas), Demi Omole (Milwaukee, Wisc.) and pole vaulter Chip Heuser (Louisville, Ky.) will join the Gators in the fall.

"I’m very excited about this group of young men, the three guys we signed in the sprints and hurdles will help us in every aspect of the sprint-hurdle-relay group," said Holloway. "Because of the caliber of athletes they are, we’re excited about them coming in and helping us at the conference and national level right away. We’re excited about that with Chip also. With this class of athletes we’ve signed so far, we feel they have the ability to come in and have an impact on Florida track and field right away and help us in our quest of being the nations best."

Heuser is a four-time Kentucky State Champion in the pole vault and is also the Kentucky state record holder in the event. He cleared a height of 16-2¾ to win the pole vault event at the Nike Indoor Classic, which is considered to be the National High School Indoor Championships. Heuser achieved his personal best of 16-2¾ feet as a junior at St. Xavier High School.

"Chip has the potential to be the best high school pole vaulter the University of Florida has ever signed," said assistant coach Steve Thomas, who serves as the Gators’ field events coach. "Most pole vault experts consider Chip one of the top pole vaulters in the country. Chip is a blue chipper and will make an immediate impact for the Gators at the SEC and NCAA levels."

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:39 pm

Wow with the athletes florida is signing they are gonna have a really awsome team! I think thats a great choice for Chip!!! I hope he has an awsome collegient career. Hope to see him in reno!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:53 pm

yeah, thats sweet....man, all these people signing already, lol, i feel so lost....oh well....but yeah, that'd be cool if he was at Reno, he's on of the ones on that top ten highschool list that i've yet to meet....anyway, i'm waiting to see the what happens during the first year of college for these guys (skipper, shealy, heuser, etc)....
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:28 pm

wacky274 wrote:anyway, i'm waiting to see the what happens during the first year of college for these guys (skipper, shealy, heuser, etc)....

Shoot I'm not looking that far ahead... I am looking forward to seeing how last year's big guys do this year... Tyson Byers, Eric Dormaier, and so on :P

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:54 pm

OK here is the official list (well from Dyestat) so far of who's signed...

Girls
Brigham Young-Bailey, Julene-Skyview Nampa-ID-PV 13-2 US World Junior team
Central Florida-Strauss, Michelle-University-FL-PV 10-0
Central Florida-Fowke, Katie-Riverview-FL-PV 9-6
Clemson-Young, Sara-Thornwell-SC-PV 12-5 SC 1A champ
Clemson-Jordan, Beth-Aiken-SC-PV 11-6 SC 4A champ
Connecticut-Kachmarsky, Lisa-Monroe-Woodbury-NY-PV 11-3 CT 1A 2nd
Nebraska-Green, Jenny-Grand Island-NE-PV 12-10, 3-time NE champ
South Florida-Malone, Megan-Riverview-FL-PV 11-0 FL 4A 2nd
Texas A&M-Matthews, Jennifer-Luling-TX-PV 11-6 TX 3A champ

Boys
Florida-Heuser, Chip-St. Xavier Lville-KY-PV 16-0, KY & Fla Relays champ
Texas Tech-Andrews, Chad-Pearce Rich-TX-PV 15-3, decathlete

Unofficially (as in I have not seen an official press release verifying it)
McKane Lee (Arlington HS WA 16-6) - U. of Washington
Tommy Skipper (Sandy HS OR 17-7.5) - Clackamas CC

Stevie Marshalek (Kentlake HS WA 12-10) - U. of Washington (oral committment)

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:46 am

is signing early a good thing? i mean like, what advantages does it have? i havnt signed yet, and i feel lost in all this college stuff....somebody please help, lol, thanks
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:39 pm

April Kubishta(12'7") has officially signed with the University of Arizona!!!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:42 pm

sweet....i can't wait to see how she jumps this season

-Stephen King

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”