Getting inverted at the top

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Ins0mnizac
PV Fan

Getting inverted at the top

Unread postby Ins0mnizac » Mon May 03, 2004 7:12 pm

I have been having a problem getting enough penetration and getting inverted at the top of my vault. It's getting really frustrated, any tips, thanks.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon May 03, 2004 7:51 pm

any time you are having a problem getting in deep enough, there are two things you should really consider doing, if you are at a pole above your weight, possibly drop to one lower (making sure to stay at or above your weight). In the case of the pole being at your weight, lower your grip, i know as vaulters this can be something people dont like to do sometimes, but vaulting safe is going to get you a lot better results in the long run!
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Mon May 03, 2004 8:49 pm

when im penetrating too deep, ill lower my grip so i get more pop off the top, less into the pit.

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Mon May 03, 2004 9:27 pm

wacky274 wrote:lower your grip, i know as vaulters this can be something people dont like to do

I hate lowering my grip but I have prd from short runs doing it and Ive heard of a bunch of other people lowering their grips and pr'ing too.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 03, 2004 10:47 pm

Here's an article from PVEI.com about lowering grip height to jump higher.

http://www.pvei.com/index.php?pagename= ... hannay.php

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Tue May 04, 2004 10:14 pm

when exactly do u turn when inverted?

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Wed May 05, 2004 12:45 pm

As soon as you pull with your top hand, your body folds over. Any time (of 2. haha) that I've been inverted, i got shot up really fast so i didn't know what was going on until i was turned around w/o doing it on purpose.
The Matrix has you...

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Wed May 05, 2004 9:22 pm

well im having about the same problem too right now with getting inverted, but i dont think lowering ym handgrip will help, because it cant get any lower without blowing through the pole.. i just seem to not be patient enough and bail out towards the bar earley.. iv been tryign to get myself to wait and finsih rocking back, but i cant seem to fidn a way to do it?
What have you done today to get better?

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Sat May 08, 2004 2:59 pm

Ajint_Smith wrote:As soon as you pull with your top hand, your body folds over. Any time (of 2. haha) that I've been inverted, i got shot up really fast so i didn't know what was going on until i was turned around w/o doing it on purpose.

hmmm ... still havin problems with turning correctly. i just don't know like how many seconds into the plant to turn. i think i either turn to fast or to early.

gymkittykat
PV Newbie

Unread postby gymkittykat » Tue May 18, 2004 9:26 pm

i used to hav a problem getting inverted(well as close as it is 4 me) and one of the coaches told me to move my bottom hand closer to my top hand. and it worked! i jumped a foot higher in 2ish meets!

vault_till_death
PV Newbie

Unread postby vault_till_death » Tue May 18, 2004 9:40 pm

gymkittykat wrote:i used to hav a problem getting inverted(well as close as it is 4 me) and one of the coaches told me to move my bottom hand closer to my top hand. and it worked! i jumped a foot higher in 2ish meets!

Really? How close together were your hands?

Vaulter1080
PV Beginner

Unread postby Vaulter1080 » Tue May 18, 2004 10:29 pm

Generally a clsoer hand grip can lead to a taller takeoff with both hands further above the head in the plant. A closer grip also can lead to a more powerful swing with more leverage in the swing and pull-through. I forget where exactly I read that, but it was in a discussion where someone started talking about Bubka's techniques. Mentioned how he had a narrower grip than anyone else, and he held his pole up higher for longer than us americans were at the time.

I usually grip with my hands about a foot and a half apart, with them getting as close as a foot sometimes.
Current PR - 14' May 20 2004

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”