distance between hands.......

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

The King
PV Newbie

distance between hands.......

Unread postby The King » Mon May 17, 2004 10:16 pm

on the pole obviously........ but what do most people do? i usually have shoulder width but mess around with it often and can never remember the results. any help is appreciated

thanx

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Mon May 17, 2004 11:15 pm

stay shoulder width and top arm high
Ow

vault_till_death
PV Newbie

Unread postby vault_till_death » Tue May 18, 2004 8:52 am

what i do is hold the pole out strait and grab right under my armpit, it helps me to bend the pole more.

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Tue May 18, 2004 8:56 am

For a lot of my beginning vaulters I have them hold the pole in the box with their top hand right above them, and have them swing their bottom arm up. Where ever they grab on is where to start, and changes are made from there.
Go BIG or Go HOME

needthebend
PV Newbie

Unread postby needthebend » Mon May 24, 2004 11:15 pm

what i have found that works for me is grabbing the pole with your top hand then putting your forearm against the pole and grab below my elbow on the pole

VAULTERS ROCK....no one goes higher

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Swing pendulum adjustments

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue May 25, 2004 5:42 am

needthebend wrote:what i have found that works for me is grabbing the pole with your top hand then putting your forearm against the pole and grab below my elbow on the pole

VAULTERS ROCK....no one goes higher

[color=blue][b]This is the best place to start on a handgrip spread. moving farther out will allow bending of the pole more but will kill or hinder any swing of the vaulters pendulum.

Moving them together more will help keep the bottom arm from killing the swing and you might be able to bend the pole more with the power of the swing. If you are in the bucket often with head up and cannot get back this is a result of not enough swing and the bottom hand may be the problem.
Old technique is called “Rocking Backâ€Â
Last edited by Bruce Caldwell on Tue May 25, 2004 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

CHSVAULT
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CHSVAULT » Tue May 25, 2004 6:27 pm

would holding to wide affect anything at the top....like would it cause flagging out?
"Fly" -me

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Re: Swing pendulum adjustments

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue May 25, 2004 9:10 pm

[quote="ESSX"]
[color=blue][b]This is the best place to start on a handgrip spread. moving farther out will allow bending of the pole more but will kill or hinder any swing of the vaulters pendulum.

Moving them together more will help keep the bottom arm from killing the swing and you might be able to bend the pole more with the power of the swing. If you are in the bucket often with head up and cannot get back this is a result of not enough swing and the bottom hand may be the problem.
Old technique is called “Rocking Backâ€Â
What have you done today to get better?

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Tue May 25, 2004 9:42 pm

well i seem to be stuck in the "bucket" position with my head and shoulders back, but my hand grip is already as narrow as itl comfortably get, and when it ried moving it even closer, it didnt help.

A narrow grip can help, but for most it is an issue of plant and takeoff mechanics. For me, the narrower my grip is, the more I block. If you can hit a high plant, relax the shoulders, and allow the chest to lead, grip width isn't a huge issue. A few years ago Brad Gebauer took a grip width of 4 feet (just for fun) and was still able to swing and time up. Brad does have an excellent plant and takeoff, so I wouldn't try that at home. If you ever get a chance to see Brad, you will notice how well he hits the pole and keeps everything behind the pole and in line. Add some speed and the guy could vault out of his mind.

GF

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue May 25, 2004 9:59 pm

well, i have a good plant/ takeoff, thats the strogn point of my vault, and i vault similar to the way you just described. so should i try making my grip wider rather than narrower??
What have you done today to get better?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”