droping your shoulders

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

byucougars05
PV Newbie

droping your shoulders

Unread postby byucougars05 » Tue May 11, 2004 7:35 pm

hey so today we realized that i get stuck in the bucket quite a bit so my coach told me to drop my shoulders. how do i do that?
hey what was that!?! well it was suposed to be a 360, but it turned into a 180 and munch! AIMEE*HAFEN

ton
PV Newbie

Unread postby ton » Thu May 13, 2004 10:53 pm

i have the same sorta problem, i swing into a postion with my ankles and feet lined right up... how can i corredt that, it has become quite a bad habit, and it's made it quite difficult to clear 14' lately... if anyone knows of what i speak, and knows how to make it die, please help!!

OLD CATAPOLER
PV Newbie

Unread postby OLD CATAPOLER » Fri May 14, 2004 9:28 am

To me, it sounds as if you are cutting your swing short by focusing too much on the rock-back. If you can focus on a longer swing( swinging to a point where your hips are above your shoulders) you avoid the "bucket".I have a vaulter who you could see on video swing to a point where her hips were level at best with her shoulders. When the recoil started she was folded in half at the hips in a pike position-forcing the hips out and down. Once she swung longer/higher and dropped her head back she is now getting in a good position to work with the recoil. Penetration into the pit also improved.

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Mon May 17, 2004 1:28 pm

Another thing to add to the longer swing is try to have a more aggressive row. If you watch Toby Stevensons's vault, You will see that his row and swing end with the shoulders below the hips.
Go BIG or Go HOME

Vaulter1080
PV Beginner

Unread postby Vaulter1080 » Mon May 17, 2004 5:59 pm

I have a team mate who does the same exact thing. For him it seems to be a combination of pulling his legs under him instead of swinging his leg long at takeoff, and instead of rowing with a long right arm he pulls the pole into his chest, locking him into the pike position with his upper body above his hips still.
Current PR - 14' May 20 2004

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”