Favorite Runways or place to vault.

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Favorite Runways or place to vault.

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:51 pm

Whats Yours?
Mine are Our Raised runway here at KU and Arkansas indoor, Nebraska outdoor and Mine in my backyard.

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:38 pm

Oklahoma indoor

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:49 pm

NAU indoor.
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:12 pm

nau indoor is an awesome place to vault
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:32 pm

NAU indoor was so fun. Also I like Horizon High School's facilities, although I haven't jumped there for a couple years. And I always do really well at Deer Valley.
Pole Vaulters get high!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:56 pm

casa grande high school has a cool set up too....the pole vault pit is off to the one side of the track, set off with the shot put and discus area.....theres a fence between the vaulting/shot/disc area and the rest of the track, so it's cool, we get like our own crowd there
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:25 pm

Fourth of July freedom fair in Tacoma, WA is my favorite place to vault with a love hate relationship with the raised runway
Last edited by Robert schmitt on Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:23 pm

All time greatest is running on stilts. The Indy State Fair has a super fast downhill runway raised by wooden blocks stacked on each other providing "support" for the runway. But when you ran straight it works perfectly--so far it is the best and craziest runway i have ever ran on!
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:47 pm

University of Texas - fast surface, great location always with a big pole vault crowd, mostly good winds, great pit and standards.

Abilene Chrisian University - screaming West Texas tailwinds and a deep box

My backyard - 135' downhill boards on a 22' x 25' Elite pit with extra padding at the standards, and Gill National customized standards, surrounded by Oak and Cedar trees which block most bad winds
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:40 am

Recklinghousen, Germany was the best I have ever jumped on, although I think they use the same runway all around Germany for street meets. I had to start on two bigger poles than I ever used in my life to clear opening height, and I've jumped on all the good ones including the original Reno runway and the original runway at Texas when it was in the Stadium.

In the US, my favorates are Oklahoma indoor and Nebraska.

Lon

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:37 am

I think the prettiest place to vault is at my high school, King's High School just north of Seattle. My favorite is probably the Alki Beach Vault. I love the setup at Civic Stadium in Bellingham WA. There are 2 runways with pits at each end, so for the all comers meets we can easily get 3 pits going at the same time :yes:

nematic
PV Newbie

Unread postby nematic » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:41 am

The prettiest place I've vaulted is Point Loma University, incredible view.
One of the best places I've vaulted, set-up wise, is Santos Stadium in Adelaide. Four pits, three runways, some gymnatics equipment right next to the track, quality.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”