frustrated

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

squalicumvaulter07
PV Fan

totally

Unread postby squalicumvaulter07 » Sun May 09, 2004 5:32 pm

wow i really feel you man.. at the begginning of this season (this is my first year) i had a big mental block of 8'0 and it was really getting to me.. grrrr. haha. then i went to a meet and just tried to forget about the height.. they put it to 8'0 and i looked away. im like, yea this is only 7'6. it worked... but i dont know.. maybe im just a loser.
courtney christine..

so the good news is that you don't have ADD.. the bad news is that you have 4 months to live.
well it's 4:30 and this was a very short practice.
are you calling me fat?

squalicum pole vault practice.. good times

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Re: totally

Unread postby Peepers PV » Sun May 09, 2004 6:33 pm

squalicumvaulter07 wrote:wow i really feel you man.. at the begginning of this season (this is my first year) i had a big mental block of 8'0 and it was really getting to me.. grrrr. haha. then i went to a meet and just tried to forget about the height.. they put it to 8'0 and i looked away. im like, yea this is only 7'6. it worked... but i dont know.. maybe im just a loser.

That's how I first jumped 10'6. I had to get to a meet, and in the process of getting there I got lost for 2 hours. When I finally got to the meet, the competition had already started, and I responded to this by freaking out.

My coach came up to me and said, "Well the bar is at 8'6- feel like you can jump?" My PR was 9'4 at the time, but since I'd never missed 8'6, I went ahead and jumped cold. I cleared easily and walked off of the pit when my coach started to congratulate me on my new PR. I was like, "My PR is 9'4- that was only 8'6." Then my coach goes, "Actually I just told you that it was 8'6 so you wouldn't psych yourself out. The bar was really at 9'6."

I finished out the meet with a new PR, a new school record. It just showed me how much of the vault is in your head.
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

jwhip
PV Newbie

Unread postby jwhip » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:20 pm

i dont think
i sing a song before i vault and i forget that im vaulting. because alot of what vaulting is is muscle memory and if you dont think your self out of the vault and just do it youll be fine. my coach always says "dont think your self out of the vault"

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:13 pm

either sing to your self or gety your self thinking about other things the less you think about the vault the better you will do or at least i have found in my experences
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:33 pm

I know what u mean, Ive gone up 40 or 50 lbs in pole am griping higher and am stronger then I was during outdoor. I think alot of it is that this point in the season your not used to jumping when u have to, try and spending some time in practic donig a mock meet, Bar, time limits, 3 misses your out. Or just jump with a bar up at or around the hight you want to get the feeling back.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

frustrated

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:59 pm

ok! quick response!! Don't think! Just go! Measure your heights with respect to how far below/above your grip!! The heights don't REALLY tell how well you are doing......But the height ABOVE your grip does...have faith and be patient....remember if you see the bar while you are doing the vault...you aren't doing the vault right!!!!!

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:55 pm

I make sure to bring a stubbie to each meet so the muscles memorization doesnt forget ;) . I got so used to doing it that I do 10 stubbie drills before each vault
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

GirlPoleVaulter87
PV Whiz

Unread postby GirlPoleVaulter87 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:05 pm

I've come to realize that attitude is everything. Sometimes you just need to relax and don't worry about what height the bar is at.

Just try and concentrate on everything you and your coach (if you have one) have been working on. I know its hard not to get frustrated and become a head case especially when you know you could have done better.

But i guess take things one day at a time and appreciate where your are :)
"Let's launch over it!"

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:52 pm

oh wow, i remember this thread back in april ... and i can def. say i've improved both mentally and physically for vaulting in these 8 months. :yes:

Courts
PV Beginner

Unread postby Courts » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:28 pm

I have weird habits, (just ask my coach Robert!) but I find if i visualize what I need to do as I am standing on the runway and then clear my mind before i start to run it helps me actually do what I need to do. The key is to try not to think as you are vaulting. If you take practice seriously it will transfer to competition.

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:00 am

if i visualize what I need to do as I am standing on the runway and then clear my mind before i start to run it helps me actually do what I need to do

This is what I've been told to do. If you think about it a bit before you go, such as visualizing yourself doing the vault, and then clear your mind and take a few deep breaths before you vault, you tend to not overthink the vault, and still have the benefits associated with visualization. It's pretty much crazy to try to vault well if you are going down the runway thinking, ok now I need to have my hands here...then I need to...and then I need to make sure that I... :confused:

superchau88
PV Nerd

Unread postby superchau88 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:51 pm

Shorty220 wrote:omg im soooooooooooooooo frustrated too! my arm won't block out when i plant and i know it is all mental. I haven't been able to fix this for several months and i barely feel like i have improved. I really hope by tomorrow things will "click" b/c there is some county meet ugh. What does anyone think of when they vault? I have a feeling i think too much...

wait..isn't it bad to block out your arm? that's what i was told...

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”