Ever Heard of this Happening?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

#1AptosPV
PV Newbie

Ever Heard of this Happening?

Unread postby #1AptosPV » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:13 pm

Well, today we had an invitational, just like any other invitational with like 30 different schools. It's my second attempt at 10' 6'', I go up with a fast run, (little bit of head wind that day), plant, I tap the bar but it stays up and land in the pit but then boom! feels like a train hit me, one of my teeth is pointing at a 90 degree angle toward my mouth...Then comes the blood. I thought the pole had hit me right in the face, until one of my team mates told me I smacked myself with my own knee! I look down and to my surprise my left knee had a little gash where it hit my teeth. I set a new PR but loosened two teeth, had to leave the meet and wait in the ER for two hours. They said my teeth were not knocked all the way out and they'll probably be saved, waiting for the dentist right now actually, thought I'd share my story. I'm just worried I won't be able to vault on Monday though! :P And I never got to attempt 11'!

Update: one tooth dead, one tooth good! lost one (has to be replaced) the other is a little out of place but should be ok, might need a root canal. Ortho people said I should be able to vault still, but might wear a mouthguard from now on :o
Last edited by #1AptosPV on Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BritDawg118
PV Nerd

Unread postby BritDawg118 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:21 pm

that's crazy...what is the "tuck" you are referring to?
"Pole Vaulting is by far the coolest sport ever!!!"-ME

#1AptosPV
PV Newbie

Unread postby #1AptosPV » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:55 pm

when you tuck your legs into your chest, or in my situation I tucked them and hit my mouth :confused:

I guess it's familiar as part of the rockback :yes:
Last edited by #1AptosPV on Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BritDawg118
PV Nerd

Unread postby BritDawg118 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:27 pm

ok, got ya!
"Pole Vaulting is by far the coolest sport ever!!!"-ME

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Unread postby RoySloppy » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:23 am

yeah last year i had landed in the pit sort of on the top of my back and my knee came up and hit me in the nose. i had a broken nose and a concussion and couldn't vault for 4 weeks. it wasn't fun and my nose is still kinda crooked lol
VA for Life!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”