Vaulting so far

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:43 am

you guys need to vault in FL. It's been great weather, except for a little rain every now and then. Makes for great year round vaulting. Just ask Adam Sarafian who got a little taste of the FL weather at an altitude of 5 meters. Good luck with the big thaw.
The greatest gift I ever received was the look on a young vaulters' face after setting a PR!

BritDawg118
PV Nerd

Unread postby BritDawg118 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:41 am

I finally had a good outdoor meet! I jumped 12'11", new PR!
"Pole Vaulting is by far the coolest sport ever!!!"-ME

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:22 am

Awesome Brit! Look out 13 barrier. Good luck on shattering it.
The greatest gift I ever received was the look on a young vaulters' face after setting a PR!

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:07 am

BritDawg118 wrote:I finally had a good outdoor meet! I jumped 12'11", new PR!

Great jump Brit! :yes: Congrats on the new PR too! :yes: I guess we need to make you the first girl on the new National HS Top Outdoor Vaults Video page at our website. Did you get any video of it so we can show everyone the vault? You can PM me the details.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Another Shealy vaulting.

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:19 am

My 15yr old, 10th grade, son won his first meet last night. :D He cleared 9' 6" on his final attempt to win. So I'm a proud dad today. Conrad is just getting started so we are keeping him short run, 3 or 4 lefts, and on an 11ft pole. :idea: We want to make sure he learns technique and how to swing before he backs up and gets on bigger sticks. He's about 5' 9" and 120 lbs, built just like a Shealy too. LOL He has been a couch/computer potato until now but has really taken to vaulting and is training really hard and battling shin-splints to make up for lost ground. It'll be interesting to see where his PR is at by the end of this year and by the end of 12th grade.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:54 am

Congrats to Conrad and Rusty. It's refreshing to hear about those kinds of things. Many times we get caught up in who jumped the highest in the nation, when a PR at 9'6" is just as important to the sport as a PR at 16'4.75". Keep up the great work Conrad.

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:15 am

nolevault wrote:Congrats to Conrad and Rusty. It's refreshing to hear about those kinds of things. Many times we get caught up in who jumped the highest in the nation, when a PR at 9'6" is just as important to the sport as a PR at 16'4.75". Keep up the great work Conrad.

It has been fun watching him get excited about workouts. His legs are killing his run though, hopefully he will get beyond the shin-splints soon. He came home yesterday and said he broke the school record for pull-ups and they wouldn't give it to him because he didn't play football. He said they weren't going down all the way like he was, they were just going half way down. It was dashavu for me, I got a kick out of it, Chase came home and said the same thing a few years ago. LOL

AdrianVaulting
PV Newbie

THIS SEASON IS COMING ALONG GOOD

Unread postby AdrianVaulting » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:03 pm

THE SEASON HAS BEEN PRETTY GOOD I'VE ONLY DONE INDOOR STUFF AT THIS ON INDOOR PLACE WITH MY COACH TWICE AND IT'S COMING ALONG GOOD

MADE 12 EASY AT PRACTICE AND LOOKING TO BE AROUND 14 BY REGIONAL TIME

polecat
PV Fan

vaulting so far

Unread postby polecat » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:13 pm

My daughter has had an interesting season. After beginning to vault last year, she vaulted 9' several times this year (from six lefts). She wanted to improve, and, in mid-March, we visited a pole vault coach to get some advice to improve her technique. During the evaluation, the coach discovered that my daughter is a natural lefty, and he reasoned that she may in fact have been hindering her vaulting ability by vaulting as a righty. She switched immediately to vaulting as a lefty. Two weeks later (last week), in her first meet as a lefty, she vaulted 8'6" from four rights. It took her about four months last year to reach this height. She certainly looked better, more comfortable, from the left. While she is the only girl vaulter in her school, her school now has a relay team for the pole vault as long as the meets allow her vault from both sides.

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:30 pm

wait.. is the only thing she did right handed was vault?.
o well thats awesoem adn kinda weird heh... i could never vault left handed after learning everythign right handed. i actualyl tried in indoor cuase my hamstring hurt so much i couldnt jump off my left. but ya it didnt work lol...
o well congrats on ur daughter.. adn hope she does well...
i run, therefore im buff.

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:36 pm

On Saturday, Conrad Shealy PR'd by a foot and a half by clearing the opening height of 11' at Taco Bell Classic. He PR'd again last night at 11' 1" and 11' 6". And if that's not enough today he figured out how to line up the top of his vault and was making good attempts at 12' from 4 lefts. Not bad for a newbie vaulter/athlete with shin-splints. Must be genetic... he's a monkey for sure like Chase. :D

Harry44
PV Newbie

Check this out

Unread postby Harry44 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:40 pm

I've hit 12-6 but that was after a 2:03 800m and a 4:42 1600m. my budy hits 12-6 as well and he runs around 15.1 consistently in the high hurdles and is competitive in the 300i hurdles as well. it's hard to have that kind of load and then go PV, but we have no-one else... we're the only two! what makes a vaulter? we can't see to get any of the sprinters interested!
Eat the blue ones first!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”