No Height!!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

tim hutzley
PV Pro

No Height!!

Unread postby tim hutzley » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:38 pm

Today I no highted for the first time in my three years of vaulting. In the warm up we had a tail wind and I was doing good could have gone 15 easy then by the time It got to me the wind changed to blowing on the right and so I didnt even get off the ground cause the wind was blowing my pole out of the box every time. :mad: :crying: :no:

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:24 am

Tim,

You have to adjust with the conditions. If the wind changed, you should go to a smaller pole, maybe two. Change your carry a little bit so that the wind works with you and not against you. Learn from each experience. If it makes you a better vaulter in the long run, it's worth it. Everyone meets the dreaded NH at one time or another.
The greatest gift I ever received was the look on a young vaulters' face after setting a PR!

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:44 am

nolevault wrote:... Everyone meets the dreaded NH at one time or another.

I know I did. Freshman year, when I was seeded third at state, but ended up NH'ing instead. Yeah, that was fun...
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:58 am

I know I did. Freshman year, when I was seeded third at state, but ended up NH'ing instead. Yeah, that was fun...

She may have NH'd at that meet but look at her now, tied for the state lead with a PR of 12'. She learned from that and now she is one of the nations elite.
The greatest gift I ever received was the look on a young vaulters' face after setting a PR!

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:11 am

If the wind is blowing on the left I can do fine (im right handed) cause its easier to pull the pole back with my left arm. Where when the wind blows on the right its harder to push the pole back with my left arm and that makes me slow down so I cant get in or my step is off so I run through. But that was my first time vaulting with the wind on the right and Im over it already. Going to Covina this weekend hopefully there wont be any wind and I can do 15'6" for a PR and a good state ranking.

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:20 am

That's the right attitude Tim. Go out there and jump some big bars now.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:21 am

couple years back i noticed tim mack would start off to the side of the runway and let the wind push him center. i started doin that and it worked really well. now if i could just conquer the headwind insteading of reach out like a punk.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:27 am

nolevault wrote:Tim,

You have to adjust with the conditions. If the wind changed, you should go to a smaller pole, maybe two. Change your carry a little bit so that the wind works with you and not against you. Learn from each experience. If it makes you a better vaulter in the long run, it's worth it. Everyone meets the dreaded NH at one time or another.

Tim, he is 100% correct, you play with the hand you are dealt. Go to smaller pole, lower grip, shorter run, whatever is needed to get the job done. All of the vaulters have the same conditions and often it is the one who knows how to make adjustments that wins the meet. NHing is just part of the game, if it happens you just accept it, learn what you can from it, then flush it and forget it, and move on.

JJ or someone can correct me if I am wrong, I am pretty sure that Jan Johnson won his Olympic Bronze Medal by playing the hand he was dealt. He could not use his poles so he borrowed a pole adjusted his grip/run and got the job done. Contrary to what people seem to think, you need to be smart to be a great vaulter. ;)
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:22 pm

It was pretty funny at that meet I was doing pole runs and when I planted the pole it stuck into the grass I flipped over the pole hit my head and ear and I slammed into the ground. :o No one saw it though. they all just saw me getting up off the ground.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:58 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:couple years back i noticed tim mack would start off to the side of the runway and let the wind push him center. i started doin that and it worked really well. now if i could just conquer the headwind insteading of reach out like a punk.

I do that, It helps alot.

vaulterpunk
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach

Unread postby vaulterpunk » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:10 pm

i do it too.
"spandex they're a privlage not a right!"

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:51 pm

nolevault wrote: Learn from each experience. If it makes you a better vaulter in the long run, it's worth it. Everyone meets the dreaded NH at one time or another.

well, i seem to meet it allot more than anyone would like.. :confused: :no: :crying: might have somthign to do with not being able to rockback anymore for some reason? :confused:
What have you done today to get better?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”