One for the team!

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Moderators: Barto, AVC Coach

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Hmmm

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:00 pm

That would make sense...but is there anything in the rule books?
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Re: Hmmm

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:14 pm

jmayesvaultmom wrote:That would make sense...but is there anything in the rule books?

i think that there is some rule about it being unfair for one competitior to hold up a competition.

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Rule

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:06 pm

Hmmm... Well then they shouldn't have held up PV for forty minutes last year while a girl went through checking in and waiting in line through a ton of heats until hers. They completely stopped pole vault waiting on her. :dazed:
That's Jodie!!

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:33 pm

they've done that at my meets before too...really messes everyone up...sitting around doing nothing for 40 minutes. I think there should be some ENFORCED rule about not holding up the event...i mean, why couldn't they just keep everything else moving, and then when that person comes back, THEN people will wait and let them catch up...to a certain extent...like, continue up to an additional two heights or something...just something so the rest of the vaulters aren't sitting around forever...
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Re: Rule

Unread postby Peepers PV » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:18 pm

jmayesvaultmom wrote:Hmmm... Well then they shouldn't have held up PV for forty minutes last year while a girl went through checking in and waiting in line through a ton of heats until hers. They completely stopped pole vault waiting on her. :dazed:

It sounds to me like, in this case, the competition was compromised, but I know that in most cases, the officials won't let you check out until it's absolutely necessary for you to. It seems like this athlete just took advantage of the whole check out system when she saw an opportunity to do so.
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Hold up

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:07 pm

It was....she warmed up (last year) at 3:45 and didn't get to take the ONE warmup jump or run-through until 7:30!!!! Talk about getting cold! :mad:
That's Jodie!!

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Re: Hold up

Unread postby Peepers PV » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:14 pm

jmayesvaultmom wrote:It was....she warmed up (last year) at 3:45 and didn't get to take the ONE warmup jump or run-through until 7:30!!!! Talk about getting cold! :mad:

We had that same problem here in Florida last year. I warmed up at noon and didn't jump until 3:15. My coach came by and made me stop vaulting early becuase my other events were coming up :mad:! The officials had also decided on doing 3-alive, which made things last a lot longer than I think they needed to. Hopefully no one will have any of these problems this season! -Lori
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

Return to “South and Southeast Regions”