Ibuprofen

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
oldlady
PV Newbie

Unread postby oldlady » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:30 pm

Do you know that aspirin/tylenol kills 16,000 people per year with "labelled use"! :eek: The stuff can be dangerous. I would look into preventative measures and natural antiinflammatories like mentioned earlier.

That's pretty scary about the ulcers Becka (doesn't look like it's spelled right...)
If I can do it, you can do it!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:44 pm

like I said, if its made in a lab, be careful with it! Vegies, pastas, fruits, and meats. What more could you ask for.
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:46 pm

oldlady wrote:That's pretty scary about the ulcers Becka (doesn't look like it's spelled right...)

I spell it Becca :) My stomach is doing a lot better since I stopped taking the ibuprofen... They put me on Zantac but it doesn't seem to affect it much. It just bothers me whenever I have to stay up late and I drink a latte ;)

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:08 pm

If you tend to get sore, eat foods with a lot of potassium in them, such as bananas or potatoes. Multi-vitamins are also good, I take centrum.
Pole Vaulters get high!

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:44 pm

Wobenzyme is a very good choice....Turmeric is actually available in tablet form, it contains Curcumin-an anti inflammatory herb. It's in some foods, but you shouldn't take more than 400-600 mg a day. Boswellin is also a very good one that is even more common. Ginger-root extract works but isn't as strong as the others. Bromelain and Querciten are good but I think they are for old people.
Pole Vaulters get high!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:04 am

i'm going to have to look into this wobenzyme stuff, it's sounds like it coudl be a good "drug"
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:23 am

^bump

If anyone cares, my stomach is doing a lot better, but I do have problems every now and then.

I had an upper GI Endoscopy performed last summer. That is where they stick a camera down your throat and into your stomach to see what it looks like. I got to get knocked out, and that was pretty cool.

They didn't see much, except that I am probably going to get acid reflux like my dad when I am older.

The doctor put me on Prilosec, which I took for a few months. I don't take it anymore, trying to stay away from drugs.

So to all of you high schoolers taking 3 advil before every practice... cut it out!!!

Try fixing your problems. If you have shin splints, see if you need better shoes or orthotics, run on the grass more, etc etc. If you are injured, go see a doctor! :idea:

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Ibuprofen

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:11 am

WE care!!!! :D :D :yes:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:51 pm

:o i'm not doing it anymore...my knees are getting better (i hope) although they still act screwy every so often...

although i probably have screwed up my stomach....i didn't KNOW it was bad to take advil on an empty stomach freshman year....
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:55 am

I am replying to the post that said you "shouldnt take anything made in a lab". What planet are you vaulting on? I eat healthy and i drink lots of liquids, have low body fat and lift lots of weights, and food and drink arent enough. Vitamins, supplements and ibuprofen to ease swelling are all safe, great ways aof keeping your body healthy. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, without artificial supplements or natural supplements or what have you, pole vault would not be what it is today. Bottom line.

Signed,
Taking creatine, glutamine, aminos and vitamins and lovin it.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:28 am

SlickVT wrote:I am replying to the post that said you "shouldnt take anything made in a lab". What planet are you vaulting on? I eat healthy and i drink lots of liquids, have low body fat and lift lots of weights, and food and drink arent enough. Vitamins, supplements and ibuprofen to ease swelling are all safe, great ways aof keeping your body healthy. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, without artificial supplements or natural supplements or what have you, pole vault would not be what it is today. Bottom line.

Signed,
Taking creatine, glutamine, aminos and vitamins and lovin it.

All things in moderation... taking ibuprofen and other medicines is fine occasionally. Taking it all the time is a symptom that something is wrong.

I don't have an opinion on supplements or vitamins.

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:02 am

Creatine sucks...I had to stand on my feet for 9 hours a day for 2 weeks straight once..with two arthitic knees that were screwed up in a ton of ways and my shoulder was/is ripped all to crap and I had to hold and lift stuff consantly...those 2 weeks i took nearly a full bottle of extra strength aleve...that made my kidneys so sore and my stomach hurt..i will never do that agian.. iwill just turn to hydro
-B
What poles are made of fiberglass now....

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”