Worst Runways

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Worst runway

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:37 am

This was not a PV vault runway, but a gymnastics vault runway. My oldest daughter competed in a gymnastics meet where the vault runway went down a hallway past the bathroom doors and water fountain (within inches). At the end of the vault on the other side where you landed, they had a garage door open with a flatbed truck backed up to the door with mats on it. That way if you kept going, you would go out the door and land on the mats on the truck bed! :confused:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Worst runway

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:55 am

jmayesvaultmom wrote:This was not a PV vault runway, but a gymnastics vault runway. My oldest daughter competed in a gymnastics meet where the vault runway went down a hallway past the bathroom doors and water fountain (within inches). At the end of the vault on the other side where you landed, they had a garage door open with a flatbed truck backed up to the door with mats on it. That way if you kept going, you would go out the door and land on the mats on the truck bed! :confused:

It seems like every high school gymnastics meet I was in required running through hallways to do the vault. We also got to compete on wrestling mats, those were FUN on my shins and ankles :dazed:

skycock
PV Nerd

Unread postby skycock » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:05 pm

well...my step is at least a foot under every meet at unc chapel hill...kinda slow i guess
The road to the National Championships does not run through the Krispy Kreme.
Coach Stan Rosenthaul

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:26 pm

as far as indoor tracks go, its a tie between Indiana's fieldhouse before the redid it and Iowa's indoor track(although i think they'e redone their facility as well). IU had an old nasty gum like surface that was slow as mud. The box there was shallow as well. Iowa had some all purpose tennis surface or something and had a hump in the middle of the runway, which happened to be right where my mid was......
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

BritDawg118
PV Nerd

Unread postby BritDawg118 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:35 pm

I'd have to go with North Carolina State at the Adidas Outdoor Championships. The runway was really soft and squishy...felt like you were running on a sponge.

UNCW Vaulter
PV Beginner

WORST runway EVER!!!

Unread postby UNCW Vaulter » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:16 am

Clemson University indoor is far and away the WORST RUNWAY EVER!!! Your approach starts out by running down a hallway... Yes, a hallway. It is only 10' high, so you need to run with your pole tip only slightly higher than head-high. This causes you to lean backwards during the approach (it isn't untill about 30-40 feet out from the box, that the hallway opens up into a high ceilinged corner of the stadium). The surface itself is supper fast mondo so you are coming into the box fast and out of position (not a good combination). Like most mondo surfaces, the final and penultimate plant steps are pitted and worn down.

They do attempt to compensate for the conditions with extra pits on all sides. It's wierd because they usually have some high vaulters.
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.

www.wrightsvillebeachvault.com

jp1667
PV Nerd

Unread postby jp1667 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:30 am

Jan's pv camp at Kutztown, PA use to be a cinder track back in early 1990s. I remember watching L Johnson jumping around 17' (over bungee cord) on that crappy runway. I was amazed he was able to jump at all with those conditions.
Where do all the old catapoles go....? Ask Jan.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: WORST runway EVER!!!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:54 pm

UNCW Vaulter wrote:Clemson University indoor is far and away the WORST RUNWAY EVER!!! Your approach starts out by running down a hallway... Yes, a hallway. It is only 10' high, so you need to run with your pole tip only slightly higher than head-high. This causes you to lean backwards during the approach (it isn't untill about 30-40 feet out from the box, that the hallway opens up into a high ceilinged corner of the stadium). The surface itself is supper fast mondo so you are coming into the box fast and out of position (not a good combination). Like most mondo surfaces, the final and penultimate plant steps are pitted and worn down.

They do attempt to compensate for the conditions with extra pits on all sides. It's wierd because they usually have some high vaulters.

You obviously haven't been there this year. They have a brand new indoor track with brand new pits and standards. It's a great place to jump, my only complaint was that there was no heat! They might have that fixed by now though.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:34 pm

the worst runway ive been on was not too bad as far as the rubber went but it was inches away from the foul line in the discus. that was a little scary. i was at another place recently that was dangerously close to the hammer throw sector. an errant throw actually hit the pole vault mats

UNCW Vaulter
PV Beginner

Re: WORST runway EVER!!!

Unread postby UNCW Vaulter » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:55 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
UNCW Vaulter wrote:Clemson University indoor is far and away the WORST RUNWAY EVER!!! Your approach starts out by running down a hallway... Yes, a hallway. It is only 10' high, so you need to run with your pole tip only slightly higher than head-high. This causes you to lean backwards during the approach (it isn't untill about 30-40 feet out from the box, that the hallway opens up into a high ceilinged corner of the stadium). The surface itself is supper fast mondo so you are coming into the box fast and out of position (not a good combination). Like most mondo surfaces, the final and penultimate plant steps are pitted and worn down.

You obviously haven't been there this year. They have a brand new indoor track with brand new pits and standards. It's a great place to jump, my only complaint was that there was no heat! They might have that fixed by now though.

I cannot speak about their current facility as my final year was '02. After my sophomore year we didn't go back to Clemson indoor because of the layout (not just for the pole-vaulters, but for the sprinters as well. The turns there are so tight; practically 90 degrees, or at least they were at the time). Anyway, after UNC finished their beautiful new indoor complex, we didn't really have to travel at all during indoor season. They have a smoking hot surface there. Actually all of the venues my senior year were very fast, especially Virginia Tech and IC4A's in Boston.
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.

www.wrightsvillebeachvault.com

ton
PV Newbie

Unread postby ton » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:07 am

my worst runway experience was not a necersarrily bad runway.... it was just extrememly short. Indoor manley field house in syracuse, you couldnt take more then a six step, and that step was still disturbingly close to where the shot putters threw their stuff.... actually made it kind of interesting

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:41 pm

uconnvaulta wrote:At Syracuse in the Carrier Dome, worst run way ever, slow as hell, gaps in it, missing pieces the thing suks

you think the dome is slow?? i agree thats its falling apart but i always feel fast as s*** there. pred both times i went. and thats where mazza pulled out his 5.25 jump. maybe its just adrenaline, ive never jumepd there without it being a conference meet but i like it alright.

i presonnally hate VMI, it crosses the damn long jump runway in like a long x almost y shape. sooo irritating to be running down and nearly collide with someone else.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”