qualifying heights for state competition in your state???

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:14 pm

yeah, i talked to him at the SAT's and he had broken it...i couldnt believe it, but i think he's going to calm down for this season and try to stay uninjured....
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:31 am

Yeah, you couldn't miss it, I'm not sure how he did it but oh my gosh, you haven't heard the half of it. But yes, he's really getting it together, and even though I haven't talked to him all that much yet, I'm sure he's ready for this year. And he should be coming to practice this week actually. Let's hope everyone stays uninjured...
Pole Vaulters get high!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:46 am

lol, yeah, i'm hoping he jumps high, just not high enough to beat me ;) :D j/k...this year should be a fun year though, i'm looking forward to it...
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

vaultman02
PV Beginner

Unread postby vaultman02 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:13 am

Here in Texas, there aren't any qualifying heights either. You have to be in the top two at district, then the top two at regionals make it to state. There are four regions, so eight vaulters make it. It's tough most of the time because on average, (excluding 1A) 2A through 5A regional competitions take atleast 15' to make it out. It's a lot of pressure, but I like it. Only the consistent vaulters that don't crack under pressure qualify. In my opinion, the guys that should go to state are the ones that consistently vault high...not the one hit wonders that put up big marks in perfect conditions and can't perform otherwise. Just my opinion though.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:22 am

i completely agree with that.....being a good vaulter is much more than being able to just get a big bar once, it's about being able to get big bars all the time

-Stephen King

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:52 pm

I'm not sure i agree w/ that because I have seen some people who make qualifying height at an invitational and so they are automatically qualified for states and then they get hurt or are unable to practice for some reason so you never know if it was just a fluke or if they really are that good and so when states rolls around, they at least get to go (even if they aren't that good). Everyone has bad days and so if you happen to have one on the day of regionals or something, if you have already qualified for states at an invitational, you don't have to worry about it( you just have to suffer your coaches wrath... :dazed: ).
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:44 pm

Is somebody, *cough(Brandon), alluding to someone?? Lol.
Pole Vaulters get high!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:05 am

lol,i wasnt thinking that at all actually....i understand his situation, he was legitemately hurt....lol

-Stephen King

vaultman02
PV Beginner

Unread postby vaultman02 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:38 am

See, I don't agree with that really. Competition isn't supposed to be easy. Being able to hit a qualifying mark and not having to "worry about it" is the easy way out. Like I said earlier, it's for people who crack under pressure. Sure people have bad days, but the good vaulters have them very few and far between and their bad days aren't ever due to the pressure of big meets. Good vaulters don't no-height at a qualifying meet because they get psyched out. And the getting hurt thing, that's just part of vaulting. You're gonna' get hurt at some point...there's no way around it. You just have to hope that it doesn't happen when around a qualifying meet and you have to deal with it when it does. Just part of the game...

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:41 pm

The situation In high shool I don't like to see is when you have a vaulters that are consistant vaulters, jump well in the qualifying meet, and don't make it to state because thier district was blessed with a whole lot of good vaulters. While other districts qualify vaulters to state that jumped 2' lower.

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:07 pm

Best idea in the world!!!!! The vaulters with the top 10-15 heights make it to states!!!! Yaaaaa for my idea, it makes sence!!!!! YAAAAAAA!!!!!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:07 pm

If only I worked for NCAA football!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”