So whats the worst state to vault in?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:35 pm

Hmmm...this seems like a thread for VAULTNGUS to comment on! ;)
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:06 pm

I have jumped in 4 states in 4 days I first jumped in Kansas then Missouri, then Indiana and on the way back Illinois. :yes: Next summer I am going for 7.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:39 pm

bjvando wrote:Not sure how Michigan compares to Alaska or New Hampshire, but coming form California, weather is that much worse here in MI. I dont know if it really is THAT BAD, or im just going off of comparison, considering i lived in CA my whole life.

as of right now you cant even see the outdoor track. still covered in snow. :(

yeah, having lived here my whole life, it IS that bad, lol. This winter at least, we can compare to alaska just fine :no:
What have you done today to get better?

Atleetwinvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Atleetwinvaulter » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:29 pm

yaeah wow alaska would be pretty bad never thought of that, And the northern states i can say would be pretty cold.. but dont they at least have more feildhouses up there because of that?
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it"

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:11 am

Not many schools do have field houses...

I run in the halls unless I get to go over the Holy Cross College to practice vault there...

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:01 pm

I think the worst state to vault in is "death". I just don't think I could really get into it. You know what I mean? I just couldn't really enjoy it. And even if you win, you're still a stiff. :dazed:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Bad weather plus

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:44 am

Ok - Even being a displace cheesehead - Wisconsin - weather - similar to Mich - can get snow in April and even once in awhile in May - especially if ya r from da nord part of da state - plus the wacked out rules - have to take second jump right after first - then have option on third jump - right away or wait - plus - helmets are required - plus - no matter how big the pit - you have to have extra padding around the outside - HJ and PV - that along with there are so many schools that have asphalt tracks - fun - but I still love the place
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Re: Bad weather plus

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:25 pm

Decamouse wrote:Ok - Even being a displace cheesehead - Wisconsin - weather - similar to Mich - can get snow in April and even once in awhile in May - especially if ya r from da nord part of da state - plus the wacked out rules - have to take second jump right after first - then have option on third jump - right away or wait - plus - helmets are required - plus - no matter how big the pit - you have to have extra padding around the outside - HJ and PV - that along with there are so many schools that have asphalt tracks - fun - but I still love the place

My HS junior year in east central wisconsin our conference meet (in May) was cancelled b/c of 10" of snow. :eek:
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:15 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:My HS junior year in east central wisconsin our conference meet (in May) was cancelled b/c of 10" of snow. :eek:

I was at the NAIA Outdoor National's several years ago in Abbotsford, British Columbia. The last day or two in May. We had sleet and rain most of the day, it was miserable. And our poles never showed up because a shipping label fell off. There should be a rule that "Outdoor" Nationals should always be some where warm. :yes:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: New England baby

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:43 pm

uconnvaulta wrote:Come Vault In my homestate of New Hampshire which is probably comparable to Alaska, then we will talk, i remember shoveling the track off in late april to try and jump. New England is not a track and field area

Being a displaced Okie living in this lovely NE weather, we vault outside until it gets below 35 degrees.

States I've competed in OK, TX, NB, LA, AR, MO, FL, NV, AZ, KS, IA, CO, IN, NH, MA, CT. I'd have to group NE as whole and say it's the worst. OK is pretty bad if you get a crappy wind.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:51 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:
Decamouse wrote:Ok - Even being a displace cheesehead - Wisconsin - weather - similar to Mich - can get snow in April and even once in awhile in May - especially if ya r from da nord part of da state - plus the wacked out rules - have to take second jump right after first - then have option on third jump - right away or wait - plus - helmets are required - plus - no matter how big the pit - you have to have extra padding around the outside - HJ and PV - that along with there are so many schools that have asphalt tracks - fun - but I still love the place

My HS junior year in east central wisconsin our conference meet (in May) was cancelled b/c of 10" of snow. :eek:

Lol, last year at a meet in april here in good ol' michigan they cancelled the pv cause there was an ince of ice on the pits and the box was filled with ice :confused:
What have you done today to get better?

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:45 am

Texas is nice to jump in although I started jumping this year and the second week of actually jumping I was shoveling the runway and clearing the pit of snow (THE FIRST SNOW IN 5 YEARS!>!>!>!) otherwise winter here is pleasent.

0-Billy

P.S. I was in seward and it is nice during the warm months :)

Return to “Pole Vault - General”