Insa lyon - Bleasdale 4.87, Filipidis 5.77

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
boisky
PV Wannabe
Expertise: vaulter coach
Lifetime Best: 5.51
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: galfione jean

Insa lyon - Bleasdale 4.87, Filipidis 5.77

Unread postby boisky » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Bleasdale jumped 4.87 et try 5.01....filipidis jumped 5.72 try 5.77....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Insa lyon - Bleasdale 4.87, Filipidis 5.77

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:29 am

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 833c8a7.21

Bleasdale vaults into Olympics contention
(AFP) – 8 hours ago
PARIS — Britain's Holly Bleasdale laid down an Olympic Games marker on Saturday when she went second on the all-time list of women's indoor pole vault performers.
The 20-year-old leapt to 4.87 metres at a meeting in Lyon with only world record holder Yelena Isinbayeva (5.00m) having gone higher indoors in the history of the sport.
And only Isinbayeva (5.06m), Jennifer Suhr and Svetlana Feofanova have bettered the mark outdoors.
The British girl had already cleared 4.71m last month, but on Saturday she improved her own UK record by one centimetre with 4.72m and then raised the bar to 4.80m to regain the world-leading mark.
Bleasdale then progressed to 4.87m before failing at an optimistic 5.01m.
The British vaulter has improved rapidly this season after failing to achieve a single height in qualifying at last year's outdoor world championships in Daegu.
She is currently training in France alongside men's European champion Renaud Lavillenie and is building towards the world indoor championships in Turkey in March.

boisky
PV Wannabe
Expertise: vaulter coach
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: galfione jean

Re: Insa lyon - Bleasdale 4.87, Filipidis 5.72

Unread postby boisky » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:06 am

Mesnil jumped 64

palm1234
PV Nerd
Expertise: low
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby palm1234 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:52 am

Full results

http://bases.athle.com/asp.net/liste.as ... ion=100665

select page 001 and then page 002

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:19 am

…………………………………………………………..
good morning,

This was great jumping... there's some good jumps coming out of Europe... wowo

To play devil's advocate and try and take a "teaching" moment when available...i will say this.....

"Everyone was on their feet shouting and when I attempted 5.01m the atmosphere was just out of this world! I've never experienced it like that before."

"I ran through twice and had one good attempt!! I was lucky to have the chance to attempt a world record but next time I will be more mentally prepared."

I feel 100% that her "run through's" were caused by being out on the "MID" (six steps from takeoff) 20 to 30 centimetres than from her good jumps. Like Isi at the worlds, like every good vaulter will do and has done since i have been coaching.

When the bar goes up and the pressure is on the vaulter will "attack" out of the back.. they do this naturally because they know they have to have the "speed" at the take off to "move" the pole to vertical.

I want the vaulter to attack..to be "natural".. but when they do.. like Tim Mack in 2000 and several others that day at the 2000 trials.. they attack but have slightly quicker and slightly shorter steps "BEFORE" the "MID".... putting them OUT at the "MID" with no chance to get to the takeoff unless they stretch. If they stretch they will lose speed, they know "feel" they will stretch under, SO they run through.

They only way to solve this is what Tim and B did in 2004. You played into the "natural" tendencies of the thoroughbred. You the athlete(they say Bubka was intuitive.. all of the best should be and are to keep it simple.. Run..Plant..Swing) knows he/you must be fast.. and you know you must be at a six step mark that doesn't force you to stretch.. (just like a daredevil knows X number of feet from a ramp and how fast he/she needs to be going to jump that 50 cars out in front of them) so even though the adrenaline will make you attach (and it is a good thing) you msut force yourself to PUSH stronger out of the back and this gives you the best of both.. fast, accurate and the best posture over the last six AND the acceleration with the correct "MID". For Tim's speed and grip that day, right was at about 54-6.

The big issue that i see and have been trying to explain for all to change is that today's vaulters are already "out" before the big jumps... then when they get to the big jumps.. come out of the back aggressive and a little "tighter" they are out more.. with no way to get to the takeoff correctly from an out "MID"....
probably because we know we need to be out at the takeoff... we know we want as "free" of a takeoff as possible.. so we (and our coach) automatically keep moving out at the start when we are "under" instead of forcing us to "get the feet down" to takeoff out and free. Which is the only way to be correct. And apply the most force at takeoff.

I think the PVP people at these meets should "monitor" these meets for us and share what they see.. that way we can have real "feedback" to match the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygN40lOWYQ

just comparing these 4 jumps from a "MID" perspective gives me sound information about the "physics" of each.... and his "different" results were from a "MID" to close instead of to far out..

dj

Lynxyara
PV Beginner

Unread postby Lynxyara » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Return to “Pole Vault - International”