Trail Leg bending early

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Trail Leg bending early

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:44 pm

noobar wrote: ... it has nothing [to do] with the swing, its a takeoff problem and as kirk said that the bubka drill is good to learn remaining the leg straight, but how can u do the straight take off, can u suggest any exercises

Noobar, I didn't actually mean the Bubka Drill. I meant my own "Whip Hinge Drill", where I emphasize the downswing ... rather than the upswing.

In this highbar drill, you start in the C (the pre-stretch that "finishes" the takeoff), and vigorously swing your trail leg down and forwards, until you feel the power of the whip as you pass under the bar. You then coast to a stop ... without emphasizing a "Bubka" ... and repeat. Have your kids do about 20 reps per day (2 sets of 10 ... but start with 4 sets of 5), and they'll soon forget how to hunch the top arm or bend the trail leg prematurely. Until they get good at it, I recommend you hold their starting (C) body positions for them ... else they'll swing out of synch. Sorry ... no vids.

In contrast, the Bubka Drill emphasizes the gymnastic action of inverting on the highbar ... just like on the pole. Done right, that's a simulation of the upswing, but it more often becomes a power (muscular) excercise. By "done right" I mean that it needs a powerful DOWNSWING (a la the "hinge whip drill") to get it right.

Some may think that this is an Advanced drill, but done with a coach holding the athlete in the starting C position, it's a very basic drill ... ideal for high-schoolers learning how to swing with a long, powerful trail leg (and a fully stretched top arm).

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 am

Athletes must learn the proper way to take off from a run in the beginning. Anything less is a waste of time.
An activity is to jump over short hurdles in correct takeoff form, dragging the trail leg behind trying to touch the top of the short hurdle. Use 3 or more hurdles. This is one of many activities that can be used.

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

noobar
PV Beginner
Expertise: decathlon
Lifetime Best: 13 ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: yelena isnbayeva

Unread postby noobar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:02 am

Kirk did u mean by whip hinge drill, this drill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcadVxHQOos

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:17 am

Again, if you jump properly you will be in that stretched position that is encapsulated in the Petrov Technique.

Rick Baggett
WSTC

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:50 am

noobar wrote:Kirk did u mean by whip hinge drill, this drill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcadVxHQOos

Well, yes and no. That's PP, doing his rendition of my drill, but unfortunately I wasn't there in person to coach him thru it, and he misunderstood the technique. Here's his blog, where I commented on this halfway down the first page ...

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=18721&p=133718&hilit=pp+highbar+hinge+kirk#p133718

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:06 am

You can't have a tap swing with a bent leg! The take off leg must finish the jump with the toe pointed down (use of the calf muscle). The takeoff position is created from the jump on take off.

Rick Baggett
WSTC

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqS-GGiCHUE

Go here to get Alans and my description. Remember this position is a result of the take off.

Rick Baggett
WSTC

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:39 pm

To redeem myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zPQd9SR ... re=related

I thought these ones were much closer. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Yes PP, those are better. At least you're getting your hips up now. :yes:

But to do the drill properly, you need to have a really good pre-stretch, and a VIGOROUS downswing. I don't see you doing that at all. Without the vigorous downswing, you're missing the most important aspect of this drill. You'll know when you "got it" becuz the highbar will bend down due to the force of your downswing. :idea:

A couple other related drills that are closer to the ROOT of the problem ... and closer to what RB is quite rightly harping about ...

1. Jog up to the highbar and jump into it ... to sorta simulate a PV takeoff, but from several feet behind the bar. (If you can, it's better if you can raise the highbar a bit for this, to make you jump HARD off your takeoff.) As you jump, freeze your body into the pre-stretch position. Now just hang on with both arms fuly extended and coast, as you swing forward. In this drill you should just be emphasizing getting to the pre-stretch ... with your trail leg fully extended, and lead knee up. Don't move on to the next drill til you "got" this one.

2. Same as the last drill, but this time, when you hit the pre-stretch ... FULLY, IMMEDIATELY swing your trail leg vigorously downwards and forwards. Done right, the highbar will sink. Once you pass the chord, just coast to a stop. DON'T try to turn this drill into an upswing/extension drill, as you won't be in the right body position to simulate that phase of the vault properly. But for the pre-stretch/downswing phase, this is EXACTLY how you can add energy to the vauler-pole system once you leave the ground.

Remember in all 3 of these drills to stretch the trail leg long ... and keep it long.

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”