bottom hand at take-off

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
dheldr01
PV Nerd
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

bottom hand at take-off

Unread postby dheldr01 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:12 pm

At take-off the bottom hand is suppose to push the pole up and forward with the top hand, but once the tip hits the plant box (hopefully you are completely in the air before this happens) you stop pushing with the bottom hand and collapse the bottom arm into the pole as the top hand stretches behind your head preparing you for a long and powerful swing.

Corrections or comments anyone?

Please and thank you

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Re: bottom hand at take-off

Unread postby souleman » Wed May 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Go to this link http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1443632188931901117# and watch this video. It will answer your question. Later....................Mike
P.S. By the way, the video is 59 minutes but you'll want to watch it all if you want an answer to your question.

dheldr01
PV Nerd

Unread postby dheldr01 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 pm

So I am right?

Please clarify...

The audio and visual of the video was difficult to follow even though I watched it TWICE I feel I was still lost in translation

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 13, 2010 12:59 am

dheldr01 wrote: At take-off the bottom hand is supposed to push the pole up and forward with the top hand, but once the tip hits the plant box (hopefully you are completely in the air before this happens) you stop pushing with the bottom hand and collapse the bottom arm into the pole as the top hand stretches behind your head preparing you for a long and powerful swing.

Very close. :yes:

Ideally (IMHO), you should NOT still be pushing the pole up and forward with the BOTTOM hand ONCE the tip hits the plant box.

Instead, you should be doing this UNTIL the tip hits.

The difference is that you shouldn't cue on the tip hitting ... you should cue on leaving the ground. That will give you a free takeoff with an upright (or slight forward-leaning) posture ... which will set you up for a good pre-stretch and downswing.

So yeh ... you're ALMOST right. In fact, you might have MEANT to say what I just said. Sorry to be picky about a single word ... but I think it's important.

More pickiness: Re the second phrase of yours that I underlined, the word "collapse" shouldn't be used as an active verb. Instead, you just LET it happen ... it's not anything that you cognizantly "do". The important thing to focus on whilst the bottom arm is collapsing is to ensure that you get a good pre-stretch ... so just focus on what your top arm is doing, and what your trail leg is doing (just as you stated).

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

dheldr01
PV Nerd

Unread postby dheldr01 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:02 pm

I'm sorry but I am having trouble seeing the point of pushing with the bottom hand until the tip hits the back of the box...

I think I understand the concept but not the application

I understand how it sets up the pre-stretch, but how does it create a higher angle? Or is that not the point?

Am I not using the top hand correctly? It should be straight and relaxed holding tightly to transfer the energy created from the approach run and take off into the pole?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 20, 2010 12:32 am

dheldr01 wrote: ... I am having trouble seeing the point of pushing with the bottom hand until the tip hits the back of the box...

I think I understand the concept but not the application

I understand how it sets up the pre-stretch, but how does it create a higher angle? Or is that not the point?

Am I not using the top hand correctly? It should be straight and relaxed holding tightly to transfer the energy created from the approach run and take off into the pole?

My opinion is that "creating a higher angle" on takeoff is EXACTLY the point ... the ONLY point.

Perhaps you're thinking that if the top hand is straight, then the bottom hand cannot ALSO be straight, else the pole tip would be above the box? If so, I don't think this is the case ... there's a lot of play in your shoulders ... especially when one is forward and the other is back a bit ... and the grip width will affect the angle of the pole too.

As for the bottom arm helping to set up the pre-stretch, I don't see any value there ... one way or the other. I believe the pre-stretch to be totally unrelated to the position of the bottom arm. But perhaps that's simply becuz I don't put any emphasis on using the bottom arm for ANYTHING ... except planting the pole ... and then once you start downswinging. YMMV ... depending on your coaching philosophy.

Does this explain it any better?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu May 20, 2010 3:38 am

Collapsing the bottom arm is the wrong phrase...it's more like you drive both arms up as hard as you can and then let the shoulders become elastic, the bottom arm will bend but remain active, not passive. And it should bend to the side, not in line with the pole (fiberhead). Some athletes run under the pole but still achieve a relatively free takeoff by being overly passive (bent) with the bottom arm. This is a mistake and will limit your penetration and pole size/grip height. However, it's probably better than blocking out with a straight bottom arm for beginner vaulters...easier to fix the step later than the entire vault!

Whether the bottom arm is bent at takeoff depends largely on how high you are gripping on the pole. If you are gripping 14' or more, you should be able to extend both arms upward 100% at the plant/takeoff. If you are gripping lower, you may have to plant with a slightly bent (but still rigid!) bottom arm, and a narrower grip will be necessary so that your bottom arm doesn't stab into and prematurely bend the pole. Wherever you have your bottom arm, it needs to be rigid as you extend upward into your plant to transfer the energy of your run into the pole and get the pole moving forward and upward. The best way to learn this for athletes at all levels is by standing up high grips on stiff (unbending) poles from 3-4 lefts, focusing on a free takeoff, and staying behind the pole with it centered on your body.

Good luck!
Tom

noobar
PV Beginner
Expertise: decathlon
Lifetime Best: 13 ft
Favorite Vaulter: yelena isnbayeva

Unread postby noobar » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:21 am

souleman wrote:Go to this link http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1443632188931901117# and watch this video. It will answer your question. Later....................Mike
P.S. By the way, the video is 59 minutes but you'll want to watch it all if you want an answer to your question.

Can u give me the links for the complement of this vedio.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:00 pm

well i have been told this. bc i had a problem with my bottom hand. you push up with it and keep it extended until u are inverted and ready to pull/kick upwards. i also just looked at a video of the pros and that is what they do to. so your body stays behind the pole until you are inverted and shooting upwards. this might be what sum1 explained. i just cldnt rlly understand it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”