Who's gonna fly high next year?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

vaultfan

Unread postby vaultfan » Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:07 pm

Odds seem to be pretty good for both Tommy Skipper and Julene Bailey setting new national high school records next year!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:35 pm

How many of you have seen the pics of Skipper attempting 18'3. He looks like he was so dang close, it deffinently looked like an 18' vault, what do you think?
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:42 pm

Azbeachboy1 wrote:How many of you have seen the pics of Skipper attempting 18'3. He looks like he was so dang close, it deffinently looked like an 18' vault, what do you think?

I was there, those are my pics O:-) I can dig them up and post them if you guys want.

He was over 18-3, hit it on the way down... it bounced... and fell :(

I talked to him after the meet. He had been lifting weights the night before because they had just built a weight room in his family's airport hangar or something.

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:56 pm

Yeah you should totally post them, I'm sure theirs lots of people who havn't seen them yet. It blows your mind how close he was.
I talked to him after the meet. He had been lifting weights the night before because they had just built a weight room in his family's airport hangar or something.
hehe, what in the world was he doing that for?
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:26 am

That should definitely spice up the competition!! But I'm jealous.
Pole Vaulters get high!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:08 am

you're jealous? lol, you're not the guy in the same class (like 2003) with him....lol, and his family has got and airport hangar? daaaaaang
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:22 am

I was there too and Skipper did come down on it his 2nd attempt. He would have easily made 18'3" if he had had bigger poles. I think the biggest he had was a 16' 200# carbon that he was basically smashing. He is going to be awesome in the next few years.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:56 am

zack wrote:I was there too and Skipper did come down on it his 2nd attempt. He would have easily made 18'3" if he had had bigger poles. I think the biggest he had was a 16' 200# carbon that he was basically smashing. He is going to be awesome in the next few years.

Too bad I never took a picture of you and Brian on that couch you guys dragged out ;)

Alright I will put posting those pictures on my list of projects to do this week :P

SkyHigh21
PV Fan

Unread postby SkyHigh21 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:16 pm

If skipper keeps growing the way he is theres no way hell jump the same as he did this year. Hes already really heavy. Watch for the underdogs next year, somebody is ready to pop one.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:24 pm

SkyHigh21 wrote:If skipper keeps growing the way he is theres no way hell jump the same as he did this year. Hes already really heavy. Watch for the underdogs next year, somebody is ready to pop one.

He's getting bigger and buffer, not fatter.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:31 pm

yeah i was wondering why you are referring to his size, cause, well, i mean too heavy can be bad, but like, as long as he's keeping his speed and flexibility with the muscle he's building who knows....i mean i've never jumped against him since like my freshman year...i couldnt believe him then, he was big...and jumping on 16 foot poles....i just remember not being impressed with a 15 6 jump from him when he was capping off his 16...i mean yeah it takes a lot to get on a 16 foot pole, but the way i've always been taught it's how far you can jump over your grip....thats a really important part (not everything i know)..........

sidenote, chip you hoping to be one of those underdogs? (though you have already jumped what? 16 8? ) Lol, i sure know i am....i mean, i dont expect any 18 foot vault, but i'm hoping for 17 plus...we'll see though, i've yet to meet you though i believe...you going to the summit?
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:14 pm

I'd like to think I'm going to fly high next year. :P
Pole Vaulters get high!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”