Recommendations for an older newcomer

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

mflournoy
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Recommendations for an older newcomer

Unread postby mflournoy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm

I'm going to be trying my hand at decathlon in a few years, but before I do, I need to learn how to vault. I have plenty of time before I start competing, as I'm pretty booked with other athletic endeavors this year, but probably next year I'll look to get a jump on vaulting. So obviously I will need a place to vault, a pole to vault on, and some guidance on technique. Luckily for you, I'm only asking about the second piece right now!

I really don't know what pole to buy. My feeling is that any pole of a sufficient weight rating will get the job done for my purposes, but I don't see the sense in making an uninformed purchase. I'm 6'3", 185 pounds, 25 years old, and my previous pole vaulting experience is so limited that it might as well be nonexistent. (I played around with it about a decade ago after track practice in high school a number of times, got maybe eight feet or so.)

Initially, I only need to be able to vault well enough to clear something (nine or ten feet would be fine) to avoid having to totally punt one event of the decathlon.

Thanks for your help!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Recommendations for an older newcomer

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:27 am

I would actually recommend sorting out the place to jump first. Most of the time, they will have poles you can use. Getting a few practice sessions in will give you a much better idea of what you need.

If I had to take a stab in the dark at pole size, I would say a 13'185, but I have no idea how fast you are and how quickly you will pick it up.

mflournoy
PV Newbie

Unread postby mflournoy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have an idea of where I'll be practicing, but I don't think I can rely on being able to borrow poles. I realize buying a pole without any experience is unusual and unadvised, but if it comes to that, then I'll do what I have to do.

My speed is workable, but not spectacular, I think. Low 12s in a 100m, under 12 if I'm at my best. My background is mostly in mid-distance running.

Can you tell me more about how my learning curve affects pole selection? I assume this concerns the pole length and how much bend I can get.

(Also, please forgive me, I'm still learning the pole vault "language.")

chasing6
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, Coach (all-levels), Die-Hard Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.23m

Unread postby chasing6 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:00 pm

mflournoy wrote:Can you tell me more about how my learning curve affects pole selection? I assume this concerns the pole length and how much bend I can get.

In my experience, it's the pole selection that dictates your learning curve. If you're quick to pick up the basics you will most likely be needing bigger poles each practice until things level out, and even then you may need even more. Granted, this is all assuming that you will have an unlimited supply of poles (which won't be the case). I would advise that you look into a slightly larger pole and practice stiff pole vaulting until you have all the fundamentals down. If you don't worry about bending the pole, you can pick up an older, used pole for relatively cheap to get you started. Once you've got the basics and you and your coach feel ready to start bending, you will have a much better idea of what size you'll need.
Whether you believe you can or cannot, you're right.

http://www.fiveringsproject.org

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:16 am

mflournoy wrote:Can you tell me more about how my learning curve affects pole selection? I assume this concerns the pole length and how much bend I can get.

That is exactly why you would be best off to find a club that has a pole selection. Until you are competent in the basics, you probably won't be bending the pole. During that time almost any pole will do that is long enough and around your body weight for weight rating. When the basics are done well enough (especially with the speed you indicate you have) the proper size pole will bend and then you can learn how to vault with a bending pole. How well you pick that up will dictate how quickly you might progress through various weights and eventually, lengths of poles. If I remember correctly, I went for over a year before I bought my first pole.

As for you being an "older" newcomer, I guess that is all relative! ;)

In case you aren't aware of this resource, here is one place to look for a track club.
http://www.usatf.org/clubs/search/
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:45 pm

It would really help if we knew where you are located.

mflournoy
PV Newbie

Unread postby mflournoy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks again for all the advice. I live near Charleston, SC. I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing most of my jumping at a local rec department track; it's a nice facility that's used for the youth club team. They leave the pit available (without the standards) year-round, though they can't provide poles. Unfortunately there aren't any open division clubs in my area. I really think my best option will be to buy my own pole and give it a go, and try to take advantage of every resource available (videos, articles, talking to and watching experienced vaulters).

Any further thoughts on that strategy? Would a 13' 185 be adequate, or should I go stiffer?

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:03 am

mflournoy wrote:Any further thoughts on that strategy? Would a 13' 185 be adequate, or should I go stiffer?

You are tall and that means you should be able to grip higher and still keep an acceptable angle at the plant. I think you could easily need a bit longer pole than 13 so I would suggest a 13-6 for just a little extra 'room'. I don't think you will want a pole above your weight until you are well along the learning curve of jumping with a bend. So, my suggestion is a 13'6" 185. I think Gill has that size. But, you might have to go to a 14" to get the 185 in a UCS. As is often said on this forum... just my 2 cents worth. :)
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

oldvaultguy
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter,Masters Vaulter,High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95

Unread postby oldvaultguy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:22 am

Call Bruce at ESSX he will help you out. he made me 2 custom poles for my competitive return to the sport a couple years ago and they were perfect.

bentleyw
PV Newbie
Expertise: Other

Unread postby bentleyw » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:52 am

Actually, all three will probably need to go together.

Because vaulting is considered a "skilled" event, In the beginning, even the most modest improvements will have you going to larger poles quickly. Because of wind and field conditions, as well as how you are jumping on a any given day, you will need a series of at least 4 poles to jump on. Unfortunately, that can get expensive.

Do some serious networking. In East Texas there is a surprising amount of "social and/or serious" vaulting events by local vaulters, clinics and clubs--from backyards to "beach" vaults. The beauty of the vaulting culture is it is founded on helping each other to get better. They're like the Marines: "Once a vaulter, always a vaulter".

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:21 am

Everyone here has given good advice.

I tend to agree with Becca and John that you should get either a 13 185 or 13'6 185 to start, but understand that you will eventually need to build a few series of weights in different lengths. It's not like the discus where you can just buy one and toss it...but if you can buy only one, then better to start small and use it for short runs later than to buy a huge pole that you can't bend or learn to vault on. Even on these "smaller" poles, you will likely be stiff-poling for a while...

To build on what bentley said, go to some local college, open, or even HS track meets, hang out at the PV, and try to meet some people. If there happen to be any masters meets nearby, this would be your best bet by far. Do a search for USATF masters and your region of the country and see what turns up.

My friend and I got back into pole vaulting 2 years ago by competing "off the couch" in a masters/open meet and getting inspired by some of the amazing masters vaulters out there. Nothing inspires you like getting your butt kicked by some old guys...and we are lucky enough here in Oregon to have some amazing masters vaulters. What you will find when you attend masters meets is that the spirit of comraderie and mutual support is unparallelled, especially in the field events. I always look forward to the masters meets more than any other meets I attend all year, because it reminds me that even though I feel "old" sometimes, I really don't have any excuse at all!!! (Thanks John A, Dan W, Dan U, Dennis, John C, Louis, Bob, Terry, etc...) Looking forward to seeing you guys this summer

Good luck, where there's a will there's a way
Tom

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”