Training for the vault.... without knowing it!

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Training for the vault.... without knowing it!

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:45 pm

With all the talk of downswing, core strength, kinesthetic awareness, etc.... i can't help but think back to my kindergarten-5th grade days and how without even knowing about it i was training my body to do certain things much like in the pole vault. I think it'd be a nice idea to hear if any of you have any stories from your past that you think inadvertantly helped you when you started vaulting. I'll share two of mine, both related to monkey bars.

So the first one relates to core strength, back when i was small enough to actually fit my body between the monkey bars (about a foot apart). All the other kids used to have to swing their whole bodies to get their feet up on the monkey bars between the one they were holding and the one in front. I (for reasons only I knew long long ago) felt the need to pick my feet up from a stand still, use my core strength and arms to not only hook my feet on the bar, but my knees and hips. I got good enough to where i could almost throw my body like a kip and be on top of the monkey bars (SUCCESS!) in a matter of seconds.

The second one is amazing to think how much applied to my swing. We had monkey bars that where made in a way such that you could swing almost horizontally to land on a ledge raised about 3 feet off the ground. If you were just swinging back and forth and let go at the angle, you wouldnt make it. Also, if you allowed your downswing to happen at vertical you wouldnt make it. It forced you to hold your extension until you were at an angle (Chord of the pole??) before exploding your core muscles to fling yourself a good 7 feet (a feat for a 4ft person) to land on the ledge. I think back and i cant believe how much of what i did on the playground applies to the vault.

Any other stories? Come on now.... think!! :idea:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Training for the vault.... without knowing it!

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:28 am

Well, some parks had really big swings back in my day. I don't think they make them nearly as big anymore, cuz they're too dangerous. I'm talking about maybe 20 feet high. Whether standing or sitting on these swings, you could get quite a bit of momentum going on them ... to the point of swinging past horizontal when the chains begin to slacken. The POWER we felt by swinging wildly on them like this ... especially right at the bottom of the swing ... was an incredible feeling ... more incredible than some of the scariest rides at the annual country fair. There were some serious g-forces there! Maybe we got a rush from this when the blood rushed out of our heads ... I dunno ... but it was exciting!

This relates to the vault in that you had to time your body actions in unision with the position of the swing ... to increase your height on each rep ... like extending in unison with the pole ... EXACTLY like that!

We fantasized that maybe we could swing all the way over the top ... in a 360 degree swing ... but we never even got close ... becuz as soon as the chains began to slacken past horizontal, we chickened out.

Another trick we did on the swings was to swing forwards, and then spread our legs out to each side of the chain ... and do a back somi ... landing on our feet. It wasn't that hard to actually do, but to even THINK of doing it took some daring ... the same daredevil attitude that most vaulters have about this kinda stuff.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

H.I.S.
PV Fan
Expertise: OCDPV
Favorite Vaulter: Howard Booth

Unread postby H.I.S. » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 pm

As said flipping backwards on the swing.
Also

Doing kips and giants on the monkey bars in grade school. I had no idea what they were called or that I would ever use them for an actual training method for a sport. I didn't discover the pole vault until the end of 7th grade. but they were FUN to do, until we got in a lot of trouble by the principle and a serious talk about dangerous and innapropriate use of the equipment. But Mr Erickson was still my fav principle.
It all started when a girl I had a crush on was showing off what she learned in gymnastics class.

Another possible unknowing workout for pole vault was practing taking bumps and performing moves for "professional wreslting" (the fake kind". There were a lot of gymnastics involved which required great body control and awareness of your body's movement.
"Today I give my all, what I keep is lost forever"

essxpv91
PV Beginner

Unread postby essxpv91 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:23 pm

Ever since I was little iv been flipping around (skatepark, trampolines, etc.) which has helped me become very aware of my body. However since about 8th grade I have skimboarded which has also helped me. It's similar because of the wAy you hold the board, run about 30-40m and rely on your speed, footwork, balance to make it out to waves. Not recommended during the season though since I manage to get hurt every other time I go to the beach :/

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:28 pm

em... Spent every day on the trampoline when I was little, climbing trees and trying to see who would jump from highest limb. I also raced motocross for about 5 years which took a ton of upper body and fitness, also took a little guts too.

Some people on here say that going at pole vault with a dare devil mentality is not good, but I think that is what attracks 95% of polevaulters.

Felxi
PV Newbie
Expertise: Interested in Vaulting
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Webster

Unread postby Felxi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:59 pm

I used to walk on my hands a lot. I'd get in a lot of trouble for doing it on "dirty streets" while with my parents.
And of course, monkey bars. Did anyone else play the game "chicken"? I used to win even against the boys.

I think I'm going to go back to the playground for some of my training now haha.

pvtaz
PV Fan
Expertise: current high school vaulter, big track fan
Lifetime Best: 8'7"
Favorite Vaulter: my teammates

Unread postby pvtaz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:36 pm

I've been involved with martial arts ever since I was 7. Learning the proper techniques for vaulting remind me of the times I spent in the studio learning new forms and spin kick combinations. I see the vault as a form because if you forget part of a form, you screw up something else. When everything flows together correctly, it looks like a perfect form, or an effortless vault.

Funny thing was my Coach asked me the other day "What parts of the vault feel right?" "The takeoff and being inverted" I responded. He asked, "Why?" I said, "I spent a lot of time climbing trees and hanging upside-down in them when I was little. Then I showed him the proper fold for a front kick, which happens to look an awful lot like the take off... drive knee up, being "tall", etc.
Don't eat the crossbar.
Plant in the box.

xxartanisxx
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Beano

Unread postby xxartanisxx » Sun May 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Hehe mine was 6 years of gymnastics.

Won state one year.

Took second at regionals (6 states) once.

Too many injuries so had to quit and went into wrestling and pole vaulting.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”